1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[Series] Divergence Test

1. Sep 6, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that the following series diverges

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{n!}{2^{n}} [/tex]

2. Relevant equations

The Divergence Test: In order for a series to be divergent, the following must be true

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} a_n \neq 0 [/tex], or

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} a_n \nexists [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Alright, I know how to work it out with the denominator, as it is a geometric series and therefore as [tex]n \rightarrow \infty,\ 2^{n} \rightarrow 1 [/tex]

But how do I do whenever I find a factorial? How do I work it out? I don't know what to do with this factorial, can I assume the following in this case

As [tex]n \rightarrow \infty[/tex],

[tex]n! \approx n[/tex]

Then as [tex]n \rightarrow \infty[/tex] it would summarize to

[tex]a_n = \frac{n}{2^{n}} [/tex], so by using L'hôpital's

[tex]\frac{\frac{d}{dn}n}{\frac{d}{dn} 2^{n}} [/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{2^{n}}[/tex], and then as [tex]n \rightarrow \infty[/tex],

[tex]\frac{1}{1} = 1 \neq 0 [/tex]

Is this it?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2010 #2
    No.
    n!=n(n-1)(n-2).... *3*(2)*(1) [ n terms]
    [tex]2^{n}= 2*2*.... *2[/tex] n times.

I have no idea what you are doing there.

Please write the expansion of n! and [tex]2^{n}[/tex] as the numerator and denominator then try to see why the limit does not exist.

4. Sep 6, 2010 #3
    Nevermind what I wrote before.

I was trying to show that the series was divergent by [tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} a_n \neq 0[/tex], but that's not possible because the limit doesn't exist, that's why I messed up. But by using [tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} a_n \nexists [/tex] it can be shown that the series diverge. I had forgotten this second case and that's why I did some mess before on working out the first case heh.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook