Can Factorials Cause Divergence? Investigating the Divergence Test for Series

In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that the series \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{n!}{2^{n}} diverges. The Divergence Test is mentioned, which states that for a series to be divergent, the limit of the terms as n approaches infinity must either not exist or be non-zero. The attempt at a solution involves using L'Hôpital's rule to show that the limit does not exist, and eventually realizing that the series can be shown to diverge by \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} a_n \nexists.
Je m'appelle

Homework Statement

Show that the following series diverges

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{n!}{2^{n}} [/tex]

Homework Equations

The Divergence Test: In order for a series to be divergent, the following must be true

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} a_n \neq 0 [/tex], or

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} a_n \nexists [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Alright, I know how to work it out with the denominator, as it is a geometric series and therefore as [tex]n \rightarrow \infty,\ 2^{n} \rightarrow 1 [/tex]

But how do I do whenever I find a factorial? How do I work it out? I don't know what to do with this factorial, can I assume the following in this case

As [tex]n \rightarrow \infty[/tex],

[tex]n! \approx n[/tex]

Then as [tex]n \rightarrow \infty[/tex] it would summarize to

[tex]a_n = \frac{n}{2^{n}} [/tex], so by using L'hôpital's

[tex]\frac{\frac{d}{dn}n}{\frac{d}{dn} 2^{n}} [/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{2^{n}}[/tex], and then as [tex]n \rightarrow \infty[/tex],

[tex]\frac{1}{1} = 1 \neq 0 [/tex]Is this it?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No.
n!=n(n-1)(n-2)... *3*(2)*(1) [ n terms]
[tex]2^{n}= 2*2*... *2[/tex] n times.

I have no idea what you are doing there.

Please write the expansion of n! and [tex]2^{n}[/tex] as the numerator and denominator then try to see why the limit does not exist.

Nevermind what I wrote before.

I was trying to show that the series was divergent by [tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} a_n \neq 0[/tex], but that's not possible because the limit doesn't exist, that's why I messed up. But by using [tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} a_n \nexists [/tex] it can be shown that the series diverge. I had forgotten this second case and that's why I did some mess before on working out the first case heh.

What is the Divergence Test?

The Divergence Test is a method used in calculus to determine the convergence or divergence of an infinite series. It states that if the limit of the terms in the series does not approach zero, then the series will diverge.

How do you use the Divergence Test?

To use the Divergence Test, you must first determine the limit of the terms in the series as n approaches infinity. If the limit is not equal to zero, then the series will diverge. If the limit is equal to zero, then the test is inconclusive and other tests must be used to determine convergence or divergence.

What is the purpose of the Divergence Test?

The purpose of the Divergence Test is to determine the behavior of an infinite series. It can be used to determine if a series converges or diverges, and therefore, if it is possible to find a sum for the series.

What are the limitations of the Divergence Test?

The Divergence Test can only be used to determine the convergence or divergence of a series if the limit of the terms in the series exists. If the limit does not exist, then other tests must be used to determine the behavior of the series.

Can the Divergence Test be used for all series?

No, the Divergence Test can only be used for infinite series where the terms approach zero as n approaches infinity. It cannot be used for series with oscillating or alternating terms.