1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Series either converges or diverges

1. Mar 31, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine whether the series [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}{\frac{n!}{n^n}}[/tex] converges or diverges.

2. Relevant equations
    The Comparison Test
    The Limit Comparison Test

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know it diverges, and i tried [tex]a_n=\frac{n!}{n^n}[/tex] and [tex]b_n=\frac{1}{n^n}[/tex] for the limit comparison test, but it gave me infinity which is useless. I also tried the comparison test saying [tex]a_n=\frac{n!}{n^n} \ge b_n=\frac{1}{n^n}[/tex] but i don't know how to prove that [tex]\frac{1}{n^n}[/tex] diverges

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2009 #2
    Re: Converge/Diverge

Have you learned of the Ratio Test yet? It would simplify this problem greatly.

Otherwise, just to show that [tex]\frac{1}{n^{n}}[/tex] diverges, that can be re-written as [tex]n^{-n}[/tex] which would not equate to zero using the nth term test for divergence, therefore it DOES diverge.

I haven't looked at your other work yet, but if all you needed was to prove that 1/n^n diverges then there ya go!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook