Series Estimation: Estimating Terms Needed to Reach |Error|<0.001

• Thread starter fsm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of estimating a convergent series using alternating terms and finding the number of terms needed to achieve a desired level of accuracy. The suggested method involves using the alternating series error bound and plotting the terms on a number line. Ultimately, the conversation concludes with the successful calculation of the desired number of terms.
fsm

Homework Statement

[tex]\sum\frac{(-1)^{x}}{x*\sqrt{x}}[/tex]

How many terms must be added to get an esimate with an |error|<0.001?

Homework Equations

[tex]s_n+ \int f(x)dx \leq s \leq s_n+ \int f(x)dx[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I having some problems trying to attempt this. To use this the function must be continuous which it is. Then it has to be positive and decreasing--this to me is the rub. The graph is symmertic at the horizontal asymptote x=0. So part of the graph is negative and increasing. I feel like I hit a brick wall. The only other thing I can think of is to rewrite the demoninator as x^(3/2), compare to a p-series and then find how many terms.

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone?

There's a generic method for alternating series you can use to easily answer this question.

Since, as NateTG said, this is an alternating sequence, the error, after n terms can't be more than the difference between the last two terms. Plot a few terms on a number line to convince your self of this.

Thanks everyone for the help. I thought that originally but second guessed myself. And I got the answer.

What is series estimation?

Series estimation is a mathematical technique used to approximate the value of a series or sequence that cannot be solved exactly. It involves adding up a finite number of terms from the series to reach a desired level of accuracy.

Why is series estimation important?

Series estimation is important because it allows us to approximate the value of a series or sequence that cannot be solved exactly. This is useful in situations where exact solutions are not feasible or practical, such as in complex mathematical calculations or in scientific research.

How do you estimate the number of terms needed to reach a desired level of accuracy?

To estimate the number of terms needed, you can use the formula n = logb(|Error|/|an|), where n is the number of terms needed, b is the common ratio or difference between terms, |Error| is the desired level of accuracy, and |an| is the absolute value of the nth term in the series.

What is the significance of reaching an error less than 0.001?

An error less than 0.001 is significant because it means that the estimated value is very close to the exact value of the series. This level of accuracy is generally considered acceptable in most scientific and mathematical calculations.

Are there limitations to series estimation?

Yes, there are limitations to series estimation. It may not work for all types of series or sequences, and the accuracy of the estimation depends on the number of terms used and the desired level of accuracy. Additionally, series estimation assumes that the series is convergent and that the terms are decreasing in magnitude.