1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Series estamation

1. Oct 7, 2007 #1

fsm

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [tex]\sum\frac{(-1)^{x}}{x*\sqrt{x}}[/tex]

How many terms must be added to get an esimate with an |error|<0.001?
    2. Relevant equations
    [tex]s_n+ \int f(x)dx \leq s \leq s_n+ \int f(x)dx[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I having some problems trying to attempt this. To use this the function must be continuous which it is. Then it has to be positive and decreasing--this to me is the rub. The graph is symmertic at the horizontal asymptote x=0. So part of the graph is negative and increasing. I feel like I hit a brick wall. The only other thing I can think of is to rewrite the demoninator as x^(3/2), compare to a p-series and then find how many terms.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2007 #2

fsm

anyone?

4. Oct 8, 2007 #3

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There's a generic method for alternating series you can use to easily answer this question.

5. Oct 8, 2007 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Since, as NateTG said, this is an alternating sequence, the error, after n terms can't be more than the difference between the last two terms. Plot a few terms on a number line to convince your self of this.

6. Oct 8, 2007 #5

fsm

Thanks everyone for the help. I thought that originally but second guessed myself. And I got the answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?