1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Series expansion help

1. Jan 20, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that the first non-zero coefficient in the expansion of
    ##e^{-x}-\frac{1-x}{{\left(1-x^2\right)}^{\frac{1}{2}}{\left(1-x^3\right)}^{\frac{1}{3}}}##
    in ascending powers of x is that of x^5

2. Relevant equations
    Series expansion, logarithmic series

3. The attempt at a solution
    Let ##y=e^{-x}-\frac{1-x}{{\left(1-x^2\right)}^{\frac{1}{2}}{\left(1-x^3\right)}^{\frac{1}{3}}}##

##{\ln y={\ln \left[\frac{1-x}{{\left(1-x^2\right)}^{\frac{1}{2}}{\left(1-x^3\right)}^{\frac{1}{3}}}\right]\ }\ }##

##{\ln y\ }={\ln \left(1-x\right)\ }-\frac{1}{2}{\ln \left(1-x^2\right)-\frac{1}{3}{\ln \left(1-x^3\right)\ }\ }##

##{\ln y\ }=\left(-x-\frac{x^2}{2}-\frac{x^3}{3}-\frac{x^4}{4}-\frac{x^5}{5}\right)-\frac{1}{2}\left(-x^2-\frac{x^4}{2}\right)-\frac{1}{3}\left(-x^3\right)##

##{\ln y\ }=-x-\frac{x^5}{5}##

##y=e^{-x}\cdot e^{-\frac{x^5}{5}}##

##ye^x=e^{-\frac{x^5}{5}}##

##\left[\frac{1-x}{{\left(1-x^2\right)}^{\frac{1}{2}}{\left(1-x^3\right)}^{\frac{1}{3}}}\right]e^x=e^{-\frac{x^5}{5}}##

I know I'm incredibly close to the answer, however it seems like I can't solve it.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2015 #2

RUber

Homework Helper

You seem to have left off the e^(-x) term in your first step with the log.

4. Jan 21, 2015 #3
    I'm aware of this, however the reason why I do this is to find the series expansion of the (1-x)/((1-x^2)^(1/2) (1-x^3)^(1/3)) first, then use it to subtract from the series expansion of e^-x.

5. Jan 21, 2015 #4

RUber

Homework Helper

Then perhaps you simply mislabeled your y.
    If ## y = \frac{ 1-x }{ (1-x^2)^{1/2}(1-x^3)^{1/3}} ## then I agree that you might write
    ## y = e^{-x - x^5/5}##
    Your expression then is ##e^{-x} - e^{-x - x^5/5} ##
    Take a look at the series representations of those two exponentials. The result should be clear.

6. Jan 22, 2015 #5
    How do you get e^-x -e^(-x -x^5 /5) ?

7. Jan 22, 2015 #6

RUber

Homework Helper

The way you expanded ln(y) was for the fraction part without the ##e^{-x}##. So ##e^{-x} - e^{ln y}## should be your expression.
    As you said in post #3, you wanted to subtract the fractional part from the exponential part.

8. Jan 22, 2015 #7
    Wasn't if I use e^(ln y), the expression would change to e^(-x -x^5 /5) ?

9. Jan 22, 2015 #8

RUber

Homework Helper

Back to my original point that in your first post you left ##e^{-x}## off when you took the log of y. So using the definition of y which I gave in post 4, you have the expression ##e^{-x}-y##. You did all the work to express ## y = e^{-x -x^5/5}##. Now you just have to subtract that from ##e^{-x}##.

10. Jan 22, 2015 #9
    Now I have e^-x -e^(-x-x^5/5) Should I expand both as a series?

11. Jan 23, 2015 #10

RUber

Homework Helper

If you do, your answer will be evident.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted