Series expansion of logarithmic function

• Thread starter seboastien
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Find first three non zero terms in series expansion where the argument of funstion is small

ln(5+p)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The only way I could think how to do this is by saying ln(5+p) = ln(1+(4+p)) and expanding to

(4+p)- 1/2(4+p)^2 + 1/3(4+p)^3 - .... however, I imagine that this would only work if p was approx -4.

Answers and Replies

Come on guys! I really need to know how to do this!

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Find first three non zero terms in series expansion where the argument of funstion is small

ln(5+p)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The only way I could think how to do this is by saying ln(5+p) = ln(1+(4+p)) and expanding to

(4+p)- 1/2(4+p)^2 + 1/3(4+p)^3 - .... however, I imagine that this would only work if p was approx -4.
Well, the accuracy, for any finite polynomial expansion, deteriorates as p gets farther from -4 but is the accuracy really relevant? You are only asked to "Find first three non zero terms".

How do I find the first three non-zero terms of ln(5+p), I'm pretty sure that my answer is wrong.

dynamicsolo
Homework Helper
You'll want to write this as ln( 5 [ 1+(p/5) ] ) ; then use the properties of logarithms to write it as two terms, one of which is the term you would do the series expansion for.

Thank you