1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Series expansion

1. Jul 27, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I want to show/prove that

√(y)√(1+y) - ln[√(y)+√(1+y)] = 2y^(3/2)/3 when y<<1 by series expansion.

2. Relevant equations

√(1+y) = 1+y/2 - (y^2)/8 + ....
    ln[√(y)+√(1+y)] = ln[1 + √(y) + y/2 -(y^2)/8 + ....]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm thinking I sub in the expansions above into the initial equation. My question then, is what do I do next?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2008 #2

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Use [tex]\log_e (1+x) \approx x - \frac{x^2}{2} + \frac{x^3}{3} [/tex] and let [tex] x = \sqrt{y} + \sqrt{1+y} -1 [/tex]. The first two terms of that expansion should clean up very nicely with the [itex]\sqrt{y}\sqrt{1+y}[/itex] from the original question, only slightly hard part is expanding that cubic term. Good luck
  4. Jul 27, 2008 #3
    Cool, I understand this method, just wondering how I would go about it if I were to use the relevant equations though.
  5. Jul 27, 2008 #4

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Well the problem changes to showing [tex]\log_e \left( 1 + \sqrt{y} + \frac{y}{2} - \frac{y^2}{8} ... \right) \approx \sqrt{y} - \frac{y^{3/2}}{6} - \frac{y^{5/2}}{8} ...[/tex].

Using the log (1+x) expansion to only a linear term doesnt work, so I might try using two terms, but that might take a while, Sorry I can't see anything better at the moment.
  6. Jul 27, 2008 #5
    that's ok, its just that those specific results are provided, so I'm eager to utilize them!
  7. Jul 28, 2008 #6
    After referring to a textbook, it seems a more appropriate way would be to let Q = √(y) + y/2 - y^2/8 with ln(1+Q) = Q - (Q^2)/2 + (Q^3)/3 - ..... [similiar to what was initially mentioned].

I expand (without worrying about terms higher than 3/2) and am left with

does this appear correct?
    pardon my forgetfulness, but can fractional numbers raised to powers be added?
  8. Jul 28, 2008 #7
    *to the top*

help please!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?