Series Expansion for Inverse Laplace Transform of Irrational Functions

In summary: So now I have two integrals that are functionally the same. int_{c-i\infty}^{c+i\infty} and \frac{1}{\Gamma(\nu+1)} are just the limits as c \to \infty for some constant i.
matematikawan
I'm trying to work something on inverse Laplace transform. I need to express a transfer function F(s) to the form
[tex]F(s)=\frac{s^{-1} (a_0 + a_1s^{-1} + a_2s^{-2}+ ... }{b_0 + b_1s^{-1} + b_2s^{-2}+ ... }[/tex]

I can easily do it for rational function e.g.
[tex]\frac{s^3+2s^2+3s+1}{s+4}= \frac{s^{-1} (1+2s^{-1}+3s^{-2}+s^{-3})}{s^{-3}+4s^{-4}}[/tex]

for some indicial e.g
[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{s^2+s}}=\frac{1}{s}(1+s^{-1})^{-1/2}[/tex]
Expand using the binomial theorem.

My problem is how to express irrational functions such as s-3/2 or
[tex]\frac{e^{-\sqrt{s}}}{s}[/tex]
to the form of F(s).

Physics news on Phys.org
[itex]F(s)[/itex] is regular at infinity (in the sense of complex variables) but neither [itex]s^{-3/2}[/itex] nor [itex]e^{-\sqrt{s}}/s[/itex] is.

That is an interesting observation that you make. If you could please explain more what regular at infinity means. I'm do not know much about complex variables theory. That's why I want to avoid dealing with Bromwich integral.

My idea is to repeatedly use
[tex]L^{-1} { \frac{F(s)}{s} }=\int_0^t f(t) dt[/tex]
for evaluating inverse transform.

From Laplace transform table I know that [itex]s^{-3/2}[/itex] and [itex]e^{-2\sqrt{s}}/s[/itex] can be inverted. That's why I expect the functions could be express as F(s)

OK, the function

[tex]F(s)=\frac{s^{-1} (a_0 + a_1s^{-1} + a_2s^{-2}+ ... }{b_0 + b_1s^{-1} + b_2s^{-2}+ ... }[/tex]

has the property that [itex]s^kF(s)[/itex] converges to a finite nonzero limit as [itex]s \to \infty[/itex] for some integer [itex] k [/itex] . Neither of the two functions in question has that property.

There is no standart way for those transforms. You have to proceed from the integral form:
[tex]\frac{1}{2\pi}PV \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}{exp(st)s^{-3/2}ds}=\frac{1}{2\pi}2\sqrt{t}\int_{0}^{\infty}{exp(z)z^{-1/2-1}dz}=2\sqrt{t}\frac{1}{2\pi}\Gamma[-1/2]=-2\sqrt{\frac{t}{\pi}} [/tex]
(for t>0)

Last edited:
Actually I'm trying to solve pde not inverse Laplace transform per se. You know after we transform the pde wrt time and solve the transformed ode in s-domain, we usually obtain quite complicated F(s). It is this F(s) that I want to invert numerically.

But from what have you have shown, may be I can learned something from it. Just need further clarification. Why is your inverse transform for s-3/2 has a negative sign. The entry http://www.vibrationdata.com/Laplace.htm" has no such sign. And why is your integral form different from entry 1.2 of the table. Where has the integration end limit [itex]c+i\infty[/itex] gone?

Last edited by a moderator:
g_edgar said:
OK, the function

F(s) has the property that [itex]s^kF(s)[/itex] converges to a finite nonzero limit as [itex]s \to \infty[/itex] for some integer [itex] k [/itex] . Neither of the two functions in question has that property.

So the converse statement is not true for those cases. Thanks g_edgar. I have to sort out this first. May be I will change the form to

[tex]F(s)=\frac{s^{-1} (a_0 + a_1s^{-0.5} + a_2s^{-1}+ ... }{b_0 + b_1s^{-1} + b_2s^{-2}+ ... }[/tex]

I will try to figure out how to handle this case and come back again if I have a problem.

gato_ said:
There is no standart way for those transforms. You have to proceed from the integral form:
[tex]\frac{1}{2\pi}PV \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}{exp(st)s^{-3/2}ds}=\frac{1}{2\pi}2\sqrt{t}\int_{0}^{\infty}{exp(z)z^{-1/2-1}dz}=2\sqrt{t}\frac{1}{2\pi}\Gamma[-1/2]=-2\sqrt{\frac{t}{\pi}} [/tex]
(for t>0)

you are right abount the factor in the limits of the integral (missed another i in the denominator ). The difference in sign is probably because i chose the wrong contour

Apparently it is easier to prove the converse, I am not sure about the inversion formula. Now,
[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty}t^{\nu}e^{-st}dt=\frac{1}{\nu+1}\int_{0}^{\infty}z^{\nu}e^{-z}dz=\frac{\Gamma(\nu+1)}{s^{\nu+1}}[/tex]
The correct form of the integral I posted previously is then an alternative definition for [tex]\Gamma[/tex]:
[tex]\frac{1}{\Gamma(\nu+1)}=\frac{1}{2\pi i}\int_{c-i\infty}^{c+i\infty}\frac{e^{s}}{s^{\nu+1}}[/tex]
Which I didn't kow

1. What is the inverse Laplace transform?

The inverse Laplace transform is a mathematical operation that allows us to find the original function from its Laplace transform. It is denoted by L-1 and is the reverse operation of the Laplace transform L.

2. What is a series expansion for the inverse Laplace transform?

A series expansion for the inverse Laplace transform is a method used to find the inverse Laplace transform of a function that cannot be directly calculated using existing tables or formulas. It involves expressing the function as an infinite sum of simpler functions, such as polynomials, and then using known formulas for the inverse Laplace transform of these simpler functions.

3. What are irrational functions?

Irrational functions are functions that cannot be written as a ratio of two polynomials. They often contain irrational numbers, such as square roots or pi, in their expressions. Examples of irrational functions include sin x, cos x, and ex.

4. Why do we need series expansion for inverse Laplace transform of irrational functions?

Most tables and formulas for inverse Laplace transform are limited to rational functions, meaning they cannot be used to directly calculate the inverse Laplace transform of irrational functions. Series expansion allows us to express these irrational functions in terms of rational functions, making it possible to use existing formulas and tables to find their inverse Laplace transforms.

5. What are some common techniques used in series expansion for inverse Laplace transform of irrational functions?

Some common techniques used in series expansion for inverse Laplace transform of irrational functions include partial fraction decomposition, Taylor series expansion, and the Cauchy product. These techniques help to break down the irrational function into simpler terms that can be more easily transformed using known formulas for inverse Laplace transform.