1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Series (Geometric?)

1. May 9, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Calculate ##\sum\frac{4^{n+1}}{5^n}## (where n begins at 0 and approaches infinity).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I could easily solve this if the numerator were just ##4^n## instead of ##4^{n+1}##, because then it would be a geometric series with ratio of ##\frac{4}{5}##. But I'm not sure how to approach this one. Any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2014 #2

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What happens if you pull a 4 from every term - starting from n=1?

4. May 9, 2014 #3
    Oh...so the problem becomes...
    ##4*\sum(\frac{4}{5})^n=4*\frac{1}{1-\frac{4}{5}}=4*5=20##
    Is that right? Thanks!

5. May 9, 2014 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, do YOU think it is right?

6. May 9, 2014 #5
    ...yes? But then again, I wouldn't be here if I were always right just because I think I am.

7. May 9, 2014 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What I am suggesting is that you develop some confidence in your own work. If you do things carefully, without making a mistake at any step and without violating any "rules" you are 100% guaranteed to have the correct answer. If the problem is simple enough it should be easy for you to check your own work (and that is a something you should always do, anyway); of course, for a complicated and lengthy problem the situation is different, and developing self-confidence is harder for those cases. Remember: you need to be able to do these things in an exam.

BTW: yes, it is correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted