1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Series - help.

1. Nov 2, 2007 #1
    I am trying to practice for an exam but can't do this question:

does the series [tex]\((-1)^n/ln(n)[/tex] from n = 2 to infinity converge abs/conditionally/diverge?

I know if a do an alternating series test, the integral will converge because lim goes to 0 and a(n+1)<an.

But how can I prove that it's conditionally convergent? I did the limit test but it says that it is absolutely convergent, which is not the answer(it is supposed to be conditionally).

Thank you...
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2007 #2

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Well it can't be absolutely, because 1/( ln n ) goes to 0 much slower than another well known series that diverges doesn't it?
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2007
  4. Nov 3, 2007 #3
    ok, 1/n diverges as is a bigger series, so 1/ln(n) must also converge, right?
  5. Nov 3, 2007 #4
    write it with inequalities and using the definition of "diverge" show that 1/n FORCES 1/lnn to blow up.
  6. Nov 3, 2007 #5
    Sorry I meant, since thesmaller series diverges, 1/ln(n) will also diverge.
  7. Nov 3, 2007 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

And since 1/ln n is a decreasing sequence, the "conditional convergence" part is easy!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?