1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Series identity

1. Sep 9, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data[/b]

f [tex]_{a}[/tex] (z) is defined as

f(z) = 1 + az + [tex]\frac{a(a-1)}{2!}[/tex]z[tex]^{2}[/tex]+....+[tex]\frac{a(a-1)(a-2)...(a-n+1)}{n!}[/tex]z[tex]^{n}[/tex] + ......

where a is constant

Show that for any a,b

f [tex]_{a+b}[/tex] (z)= f [tex]_{a}[/tex](z)f [tex]_{b}[/tex](z)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I've tried starting directly from f_a+f_b and trying to show it is equivalent to f_ab and vice versa but i keep getting stuck with the last general term, im thinking there is a better way to approach this question but i cant see it.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2009 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Is n a fixed number, or is it an infinite series?
    Perhaps it helps if you write the numerators in terms of factorials as well, perhaps you will even recognize some binomial coefficients ;)

4. Sep 9, 2009 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Or look at the derivatives: fa(0)= 1, fa'(0)= a, fa"(0)= a(a-1) and, in general
    [tex]\frac{d^n f^a}{dx^n} (0)= a(a-1)\cdot\cdot\cdot (a-n+1)[/tex]
    and of course,
    [tex]\frac{d^n f^b}{dx^n} (0)= b(b-1)\cdot\cdot\cdot (b-n+1)[/tex]

Try using the product rule, extended to higher derivatives:
    [tex]\frac{d^n fg}{d x^n}= \sum_{i=0}^n \left(\begin{array}{c}n \\ i\end{array}\right)\frac{d^{n-i}f}{dx}\frac{d^ig}{dx}[/tex]

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  5. Sep 10, 2009 #4
    Thank you Hallsofivy. Once i took your advice the answer was quite simple to obtain, it was a nice way to approach the problem that i would have never seen.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook