Convergence and Continuity of a Series of Functions

In summary, the series \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{x^2+n^2} defines a continuous function f on the domain of convergence, which is all real numbers. The series representation of ( f ' ) also converges on the same domain. The function f can be thought of as a "bell curve" and the radius of convergence can be determined by performing the ratio test on the series. Additionally, continuity on the domain of convergence can be shown using an epsilon delta proof.
letmeknow

Homework Statement

Show that the series,

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{x^2+n^2}[/tex]

defines a continuous function f on the domain of convergence. What is this domain? In addition, write a series representation of ( f ' ) and determine the domain of convergence of this series to ( f ' ).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I need abit of help with this problem. If somebody could point me in the direction I would be very happy.

It looks to me that the series in question might be smaller than the series 1/ (k^2) and therefore converges on a domain of all real numbers.

I had a question about the wording, "the series defines a continuous function f on the domain of convergence". Does this mean that I am looking for the function that this series uniformly or pointwise converges to?

Physics news on Phys.org
I had a question about the wording, "the series defines a continuous function f on the domain of convergence". Does this mean that I am looking for the function that this series uniformly or pointwise converges to?

In a manner of speaking, but you can consider it more directly. If, given a value of x, the sum converges, then we can define f(x) = the value of the summation for x, and this is the function they're referring to.

I have that for,

[tex]x=0 , \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n^2}[/tex]

[tex]x=1 , \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{1+n^2}[/tex]

[tex]x=2 , \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{4+n^2}[/tex]

I know that these converge to 0. So no matter what are x values, this series converges. I would say that the domain of convergence is all of R. Am I right with that?

So did the series define the function f(x)=0. I am having trouble understanding what this means.

Ok, so this series converges to some function f and I must find what the interval of x is in which this happens.

Second, if we take the derivative of f, say ( f ' ), the same series also converges to ( f ' ) but on a different (or same) interval ?

why not have a look at the term by term differentiation of f? i think it asks for this is the question

Last edited:
letmeknow said:
I have that for,

[tex]x=0 , \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n^2}[/tex]

[tex]x=1 , \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{1+n^2}[/tex]

[tex]x=2 , \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{4+n^2}[/tex]

I know that these converge to 0. So no matter what are x values, this series converges. I would say that the domain of convergence is all of R. Am I right with that?

So did the series define the function f(x)=0. I am having trouble understanding what this means.

Surelly you know that showing that a function converges for 3 values of x does NOT show that it converges for ALL x. Also, it is clear that those DO NOT "convert to 0". The very first one starts 1+ 1/4+ 1/9 and has only positive terms.

lanedance said:
why not have a look at the term by term differentiation of f? i think it asks for this is the question

I have a theorem that says that the radius of convergence of a power series is the same as the radius of convergence of the term by term differentiation of the power series.

I didn't know if this was a power series or not. I cannot see how to separate the a_n and the x^n if it is, and if it isn't does the result apply also to series like the one I have brought up?

HallsofIvy said:
Surelly you know that showing that a function converges for 3 values of x does NOT show that it converges for ALL x. Also, it is clear that those DO NOT "convert to 0". The very first one starts 1+ 1/4+ 1/9 and has only positive terms.

I am confused about this though. I though that I could show that the summation for 1/k^2 converges by the ratio test by proving that for n large enough the terms of the ratio are all less than 1. Then for any other x in R, x^2 is positive and would be adding more to the denominator, thus making it even smaller and thus would converge also.

What am I confusing here? I understand that we are adding positive terms now though, and the series all converge to something that is not necessarily 0.

I understand the problem better now. I don't think I need to find the equation of the function that it converges to. (It would look like a bell curve though, I'm guessing)

I used the ratio test (with the x's in there) and determined that the series converges for all x in R. (R = infinity). I then did a term by term differentiation and performed the ratio test on that to get the same radius of convergence (all x in R).

I've learned a couple things here about the function. Is there anything else I am missing? (Assuming that doing the 2 ratio tests were valid?)

not sure what your lecturer wants... but you have shown both f & f' converge on a radius of covergence, and determined this radius

Reading the question I think you might still need to show continuity on the domain of convergence... maybe a quick epsilon delta?

lanedance said:
not sure what your lecturer wants... but you have shown both f & f' converge on a radius of covergence, and determined this radius

Reading the question I think you might still need to show continuity on the domain of convergence... maybe a quick epsilon delta?

I was wondering if I could do that. Do you mean something like this?

[tex]| \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{x^2+n^2}- \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{a^2+n^2}|[/tex]

I tried this to no avail after I combined? the series into one. I found one |x-a| in there but it seemed like nothing else.

1. What are series of functions?

Series of functions refer to a sequence of mathematical functions that are combined together to represent a more complex mathematical concept or process.

2. How are series of functions useful?

Series of functions are useful for representing and analyzing real-world phenomena that can be described using mathematical principles. They also allow for the approximation of complex functions using simpler ones.

3. What is the difference between a power series and a Taylor series?

A power series is a series of functions that uses powers of a variable as its terms, while a Taylor series is a specific type of power series that uses derivatives of a function evaluated at a specific point as its terms.

4. How do you determine the convergence of a series of functions?

The convergence of a series of functions can be determined by using various tests such as the ratio test, root test, or comparison test. These tests evaluate the behavior of the terms in the series to determine if the series will converge or diverge.

5. Can series of functions be used in real-life applications?

Yes, series of functions are used in many real-life applications, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. They are used to model and analyze various phenomena, such as the motion of objects, electrical circuits, and economic trends.