1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Series of hyperbolic function

1. Nov 14, 2005 #1

I have the following function to evaluate in a power series:
    f(a)=\frac{\pi}{8d}\frac{1}{\left (\sinh \left ( \frac{\pi a}{2 d} \right) \right)^2}
    Maple computes then following
    f(a) = \frac{\pi}{8d} \left ( \frac{4 d^2}{\pi^2 a^2} - \frac{1}{3} + O(a^2) \right)
    When I ask Maple if this series is of Taylor or Laurent type it tells me that it is neither. I tried to compute the Taylor series around [itex]a=0[/itex] but I get stuck at the first term, namely [itex]f(0)[/itex], which is infinite. The first term of the expression obtained by Maple is precisely equal to the inverse of the first non-zero term of the Taylor series of
    g(a)= \left (\sinh \left ( \frac{\pi a}{2 d} \right) \right)^2 = \left (0 + \frac{\pi a}{2 d} +\right )^2 = \frac{\pi^2 a^2}{4 d^2}
    But I can't figure out where do the other terms come from. Anyone knows how does Maple evaluate this series?

Any help greatly appreciated
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, here's the catch:

[tex] f(a)=\frac{\pi}{8d}\left[\frac{1}{\frac{e^{\pi a/ 2d}-e^{-\pi a/ 2d}}{2}}}\right]^{2} [/tex]

and is equal to

[tex] f(a)=\frac{\pi}{2d} \frac{e^{\pi a/d}}{\left(e^{\pi a/d}-1\right)^{2}} [/tex]

and just then u can use the Taylor series for the exponentials.

For the record, i don't get the "1/3" factor...

Last edited: Nov 15, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?