Solve Christmas Light Wiring Problem: Series vs Parallel

In summary, the conversation discusses the best way to wire Christmas lights for cost and power optimization. It is determined that wiring the lights in a circuit with a combination of parallel and series connections is the most efficient solution. The conversation also introduces the condition of ensuring that if one light goes out, the whole chain is not broken. It is suggested that each light should have an alternate path before and after it, achieved by putting each light in parallel with another light and then putting all combinations in series. It is noted that this is more of a graph theory question rather than a calculus problem.
Dustinsfl
I was asked the following question and had no idea how to solve it.

If we are concerned with cost, should we wire our christmas lights in series or parallel? Note you can also wire them in a parallel series. Then optimize your selection. Which produces the most power.

Can an some one solve this problem for me so I can see how it is done?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
dwsmith said:
I was asked the following question and had no idea how to solve it.

If we are concerned with cost, should we wire our christmas lights in series or parallel? Note you can also wire them in a parallel series. Then optimize your selection. Which produces the most power.

Can an some one solve this problem for me so I can see how it is done?

Suppose we wire 5 resistors of each 1 ohm in series.
And suppose we supply 5 V.
How much current will be generated?
How much power will be dissipated?

What if you wire them in parallel?

I like Serena said:
Suppose we wire 5 resistors of each 1 ohm in series.
And suppose we supply 5 V.
How much current will be generated?
How much power will be dissipated?

What if you wire them in parallel?

I figured out the first part. Suppose we have n resistors all with resistance R.

Series:
\(R_{\text{tot}} = nR\) so \(I_s = \frac{V}{nR}\). Therefore, \(P_s = \frac{V^2}{nR}\)

Parallel:
\(\frac{1}{R_{\text{tot}}} = \frac{n}{R}\) so \(I_p = \frac{nV}{R}\) and \(P_p = \frac{nV^2}{R}\)

For simplicity, we can assume the power is generated hourly. In parallel, we have more watts per hour and electricity is priced in kilowatts per hour so the total cost is greater in parallel.

The solution is then to wire in parallel series. Now the question is how do I setup the most efficient parallel series and show that is the case? It appears to be a Caculus optimization problem but I am not sure on how to do it.

dwsmith said:
I figured out the first part. Suppose we have n resistors all with resistance R.

Series:
\(R_{\text{tot}} = nR\) so \(I_s = \frac{V}{nR}\). Therefore, \(P_s = \frac{V^2}{nR}\)

Parallel:
\(\frac{1}{R_{\text{tot}}} = \frac{n}{R}\) so \(I_p = \frac{nV}{R}\) and \(P_p = \frac{nV^2}{R}\)

For simplicity, we can assume the power is generated hourly. In parallel, we have more watts per hour and electricity is priced in kilowatts per hour so the total cost is greater in parallel.

Exactly.

The solution is then to wire in parallel series.

There appear to be 2 questions.
For the lowest cost they need to be in series.
For the highest power output they need to be in parallel.
Now the question is how do I setup the most efficient parallel series and show that is the case? It appears to be a Caculus optimization problem but I am not sure on how to do it.

Putting any 2 resistors in series reduces the current and therefore the power.
So for maximum power the optimal solution is to put them all in parallel.

I like Serena said:
There appear to be 2 questions.
For the lowest cost they need to be in series.
For the highest power output they need to be in parallel.

Putting any 2 resistors in series reduces the current and therefore the power.
So for maximum power the optimal solution is to put them all in parallel.

I understand this but the solution is to wire the lights in a circuit with parallel and series. The question is then how to we optimize this wiring so cost isn't outrageous but if one light goes out the whole chain isn't broken.

dwsmith said:
I understand this but the solution is to wire the lights in a circuit with parallel and series. The question is then how to we optimize this wiring so cost isn't outrageous but if one light goes out the whole chain isn't broken.

It appears you have just introduced a new condition: if one light goes out the whole chain isn't broken.

How do you think they might be wired for lowest cost?

I like Serena said:
It appears you have just introduced a new condition: if one light goes out the whole chain isn't broken.

How do you think they might be wired for lowest cost?

The lowest cost would be to put a parallel at the n/2 location but would that be over all optimal? I understand it keeps cost down but if n is sufficently large a light out would still take down many lights. I was hoping there was a caculus way to figure out on how to determine parallel locations and how many lights in parallel.

dwsmith said:
The lowest cost would be to put a parallel at the n/2 location but would that be over all optimal? I understand it keeps cost down but if n is sufficently large a light out would still take down many lights. I was hoping there was a caculus way to figure out on how to determine parallel locations and how many lights in parallel.

If no light is allowed to go out when 1 breaks, that means each light must have an alternate path before and after to ensure current can always flow.
This is achieved by putting each light in parallel with 1 other light.
And then putting all these combinations in series.

I am not aware of a calculus way to solve a problem like this.
It's more of a graph theory question.

1. What is the difference between series and parallel wiring for Christmas lights?

Series wiring connects each light in a line, so if one light goes out, the whole string will go out. Parallel wiring connects each light separately to the power source, so if one light goes out, the others will stay lit.

2. Which type of wiring is more reliable for Christmas lights?

Parallel wiring is generally considered more reliable because if one light goes out, the others will stay lit. With series wiring, if one light goes out, it can cause the entire string to fail.

3. Can I mix series and parallel wiring for my Christmas lights?

No, it is not recommended to mix series and parallel wiring for Christmas lights as it can cause uneven lighting and potential safety hazards.

4. What is the maximum number of lights that can be connected in a single series or parallel circuit?

The maximum number of lights that can be connected in a single series or parallel circuit will depend on the wattage and voltage of the lights. It is important to follow the manufacturer's guidelines for the specific lights being used.

5. Is one type of wiring more energy-efficient than the other?

Both series and parallel wiring can be energy-efficient, but parallel wiring may be more efficient overall as it allows for individual control of each light and can prevent unnecessary power consumption if one light goes out. However, using LED lights and a timer can also greatly increase energy efficiency for both wiring methods.