1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Series + Parallel Circuits

1. Feb 12, 2007 #1
    I know that this is going to sound like a stupid question, but I was wondering if someone could explain the reasoning behind this question.

A hanging lamp illuminates a banquet table using 6 light bulbs (120 V). How are the bulbs connected? Series or parallel?

Any help would be great.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2007 #2
    I think that it would be parallel so that each light shines the same brightness, or they all receive the same amount of current, but I wasn't sure.

4. Feb 12, 2007 #3

ranger

Gold Member

Most domestic incandescent bulbs are hooked up in parallel. Why would you not wan to hook them up in series?

5. Feb 12, 2007 #4
    The same reason XMAS tree lights aren't, if one goes out, they all do when hooked in series.

6. Feb 12, 2007 #5

ranger

Gold Member

Err, the question wasn't directed to you. I want to see how much understanding the OP has on this topic.

7. Feb 12, 2007 #6
    Sorry, didn't mean to kill a learning process. But this has gotta be one of the dumber questions I've seen--not the fault of the OP's. As stated there is no answer. The first response tendered a possible reason, as in uniform illumination, but except for common sense assumption, we don't know how the lights were strung. They might have gone back and forth, criss crossed, etc. Maybe the host wanted an occasional excuse to grope the maid. Again, sorry if i stepped on anyones toes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?