Lighting a Banquet Table: Series vs. Parallel Circuits

In summary, the conversation discussed the reasoning behind whether to connect light bulbs in a hanging lamp in series or parallel. The general consensus was that it is more common to connect them in parallel for uniform illumination and to avoid all lights going out if one bulb fails, similar to how Christmas tree lights are connected. However, there is no definite answer as it ultimately depends on how the lights are strung.
dmolson
I know that this is going to sound like a stupid question, but I was wondering if someone could explain the reasoning behind this question.

A hanging lamp illuminates a banquet table using 6 light bulbs (120 V). How are the bulbs connected? Series or parallel?

Any help would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that it would be parallel so that each light shines the same brightness, or they all receive the same amount of current, but I wasn't sure.

Most domestic incandescent bulbs are hooked up in parallel. Why would you not wan to hook them up in series?

The same reason XMAS tree lights aren't, if one goes out, they all do when hooked in series.

denverdoc said:
The same reason XMAS tree lights aren't, if one goes out, they all do when hooked in series.

Err, the question wasn't directed to you. I want to see how much understanding the OP has on this topic.

Sorry, didn't mean to kill a learning process. But this has got to be one of the dumber questions I've seen--not the fault of the OP's. As stated there is no answer. The first response tendered a possible reason, as in uniform illumination, but except for common sense assumption, we don't know how the lights were strung. They might have gone back and forth, criss crossed, etc. Maybe the host wanted an occasional excuse to grope the maid. Again, sorry if i stepped on anyones toes.

1. What is the difference between series and parallel circuits?

In a series circuit, all components are connected in a single loop, whereas in a parallel circuit, components are connected in multiple branches.

2. Which type of circuit is used more commonly in household wiring?

Parallel circuits are more commonly used in household wiring because if one component fails, the other components can still function.

3. How do voltage and current behave in a series circuit?

In a series circuit, voltage is divided among the components and the current remains constant throughout the circuit.

4. How do voltage and current behave in a parallel circuit?

In a parallel circuit, voltage is the same across each branch while the current is divided among the branches.

5. Can you combine series and parallel circuits?

Yes, it is possible to combine series and parallel circuits to create more complex circuits that meet specific needs.