Series or Parallel: Connecting 6 Light Bulbs to a Hanging Lamp

In summary, the conversation discusses the wiring of light bulbs in a hanging lamp and whether they are connected in series or parallel. The traditional way for 120V light bulbs is to be wired in parallel, as it allows for a constant voltage drop and the ability for each bulb to take as much current as needed. Connecting them in series would divide the voltage among the bulbs and potentially cause them to go out if one were to fail. Additionally, connecting them in series would not be ideal for household outlets that provide a constant voltage but varying current.
dmolson
I know that this is going to sound like a stupid question, but I was wondering if someone could explain the reasoning behind this question.

A hanging lamp illuminates a banquet table using 6 light bulbs (120 V). How are the bulbs connected? Series or parallel?

Any help would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that it would be parallel so that each light receives the same amount of current, but I am not really sure.

If they are in series that well each receive the same amount of current since they the current will pass through only one path, that includes all of the bulbs. However, in parallel, each bulb will have the full voltage from the source applied to it.

Thread moved to Homework Help forums. Please do not post homework or coursework in the general forums.

The traditional way that 120V light bulbs are wired is in parallel. Quiz question for the original poster (the OP, dmolson) -- why would you not want to connect all the light bulbs in your house in series?

A key factor in a series connection would have to do with a certain additive property of each load on the system.

Dmolson, normally any combination of lambs would be connected in parallel, there are two reasons for this:
first, the outlet of your home gives a constant 120V with varying current (depending on the load), so when you connect several lambs in parallel, you will have a constant voltage drop on all of them and they can take as much current as they want (there is a limit!), while if you connected them in series, the voltage across the lambs will be divided among them, while having constant current which is not what we wnat, the second reason is that if you connect lambs in series, if one of them goes out, the one's following this lamb will go out too.

Electrified lambs are not, to the best of my knowledge, either tasty OR safely cooked... And it's kind of cruel and unusual to the lamb, isn't it! :biggrin:

1. What is the difference between connecting light bulbs in series or parallel?

In series, the light bulbs are connected one after another, while in parallel, they are connected side by side.

2. Which method is more energy efficient?

Connecting light bulbs in parallel is more energy efficient because each bulb receives the full voltage from the power source, resulting in brighter light and less energy wasted as heat.

3. Can I mix series and parallel connections for the six light bulbs?

Yes, you can mix series and parallel connections for the six light bulbs. For example, you can connect three bulbs in series and then connect the series connection in parallel with the other three bulbs.

4. Will the light bulbs still work if one burns out?

If the light bulbs are connected in parallel, then the other bulbs will continue to work even if one bulb burns out. However, if the bulbs are connected in series, then all the bulbs will stop working if one burns out.

5. How does the brightness of the light bulbs change in series or parallel connections?

In series, the brightness of the light bulbs decreases with each additional bulb added. In parallel, the brightness stays relatively the same regardless of how many bulbs are connected.