1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Series problem

1. Oct 3, 2006 #1
    I found this problem in Rudin, and I just can't figure it out.

It goes like this:
    Prove that the convergence of [tex]\sum a_n[/tex] [tex] a_n \geq 0[/tex] implies the convergence of [tex] \sum \frac{\sqrt{a_n}}{n} [/tex]

I tried the comparison test, but that doesn't help because I don't know what the limit [tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{1}{n\sqrt{a_n}}[/tex] is equal to.

Then I tried the partial summation formula, [tex] \frac{1}{n} \rightarrow \infty [/tex] and is monotonic, but [tex]\sqrt{a_n} > a_n[/tex] for all but finite many n. [tex]\sqrt{a_n}[/tex] is rising, so if it the partial sums were bounded from above the series would converge, but that isn't true for [tex] a_n = \frac{1}{n^2} [/tex], so I can't use this way.

The last thing that comes to my mind is to use the Cauchy criterion, but I can't find any good use of it here. a_n will be smaller than any epsilon for infinitely many n, but that doesn't really help.

Have I missed something out, or done something in a wrong way? Thanks for any help.
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

When you tried partial summation, what kind of bounds did you use for [tex]\sum_{n\leq x}\sqrt{a_n}[/tex]?
  4. Oct 4, 2006 #3
    The problem is there are no bounds for it - like in the example I mentioned - [tex]\sum a_n = \sum \frac{1}{n^2} [/tex] converges, but [tex] \sum \sqrt{a_n} = \sum \frac{1}{n} [/tex] doesn't, hence it is also not bounded from above.
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2006
  5. Oct 4, 2006 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't mean bounded by a constant for all partial sums, rather an upper bound that depends on x.

With [tex]a_n=1/n^2[/tex], you can get the bound [itex]\sum_{n\leq x}\sqrt{a_n}\leq \log(x)+1[/itex]. Using this bound, you could go throught the partial summation and show [itex]\sum_{n\leq x}\sqrt{a_n}n^{-1}[/itex] is bounded by a constant.

So, what kind of bounds can you get for [itex]\sum_{n\leq x}\sqrt{a_n}[/itex]? It would be good to ask what kind of bound you'd need to deduce convergence from partial summation as well.
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2006
  6. Oct 4, 2006 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

How about the "root test"? Since [itex]\Sigma a_n[/itex] converges, you know that [itex]^n\sqrt{a_n}[/itex] converges to a number less than or equal to one. What does that tell you about the limit of
    [tex]{^n\sqrt{\frac\sqrt{a_n}}{n}}= \frac{\sqrt{^n\sqrt{a_n}}}{^n\sqrt{n}}[/tex]?
  7. Oct 4, 2006 #6
    the root test!!!! I don't know why, but I just ignored it. Thanks a lot
  8. Oct 4, 2006 #7

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The root test will be inconclusive here if you started with a sequence that has [tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\sqrt[n]{a_n}=1[/tex] to begin with. Or if this limit simply didn't exist (though you can use the lim sup version, again inconclusive if you get a "1").
  9. May 4, 2008 #8
    If [tex]
    a_n \le {1 \over {n^2 }}
    [/tex], then [tex]
    \sqrt {a_n } \le {1 \over n} \Rightarrow {{\sqrt {a_n } } \over n} \le {1 \over {n^2 }}

if [tex]
    a_n \ge {1 \over {n^2 }}

[/tex], then [tex]
    \sqrt {a_n } \ge {1 \over n}

[/tex]; multiplying both sides of this inequality by [tex]
    \sqrt {a_n }

[/tex] we obtain [tex]
    {{\sqrt {a_n } } \over n} \le a_n

Thus [tex]
    {{\sqrt {a_n } } \over n} \le \max \left\{ {a_n ,{1 \over {n^2 }}} \right\} = {1 \over 2}\left( {a_n + {1 \over {n^2 }}} \right) + {1 \over 2}\left| {a_n - {1 \over {n^2 }}} \right| \le {1 \over 2}\left( {a_n + {1 \over {n^2 }}} \right) + {1 \over 2}\left( {a_n + {1 \over {n^2 }}} \right) = a_n + {1 \over {n^2 }}

Then the convergence of [tex]
    \sum\limits_n {a_n }

[/tex] and [tex]
    \sum\limits_n {{1 \over {n^2 }}}

[/tex] implies the convergence of

\sum\limits_n {{{\sqrt {a_n } } \over n}}

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?