Solving a Puzzling Math Series: Need Help!

• Thread starter rcmango
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, the conversation is about a problem that was originally thought to be a p series, but was later determined to be a geometric series. The discussion includes equations and attempts at solving the problem, with one person providing a method for solving geometric series and another suggesting a correction to the previous solution.
rcmango

Homework Statement

heres the problem: http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/9660/66702982oe9.png

Homework Equations

p series or geometric series?

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought this was a p series, but i was told it was a geometric series?

anyone who can walk me through this problem, please.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is a geometric series. A geometric series is in the form [tex]\sum_n x^n[/tex], while a P-Series is in the form, [tex]\sum_n n^p[/tex]. Ignoring the factor of 3, you can solve this series using
[tex]\sum_{k=101}^\infty 5^{-k} = \sum_{k=0}^\infty 5^{-k} - \sum_{k=0}^{100} 5^{-k}[/tex]. Both right hand terms should have analytic expressions I think.

In any geometric series all you need to compute the sum is the first term and the common ratio. The sum is always (first term)/(1-common ratio)

i know I'm close, i got 3/4 to be the sum.

heres a pic of what I've done, please correct me.

http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/3712/57667609ii9.png

Last edited by a moderator:
In your original question, the numerator was not being exponentiated to the k-th power. In your evaluation it is.

It may be best if you rewrite the series as [tex] 3 \sum_{k=101}^{\infty} \left( \frac{1}{5}\right)^k[/tex], and then take into account Mathdopes post.

1. How do I approach a math series puzzle?

When solving a math series puzzle, the first step is to carefully examine the pattern and try to identify any recurring elements or relationships between the numbers. Then, you can use logic and critical thinking to fill in the missing numbers.

2. What are some strategies for solving a math series puzzle?

One strategy is to look for common mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, or division. Another strategy is to try to find a pattern in the differences between the numbers. You can also try plugging in different numbers to see if they fit the pattern.

3. How can I check my solution for a math series puzzle?

After you have filled in all the missing numbers, you can double-check your solution by plugging the numbers back into the original series and checking if they follow the given pattern. You can also ask someone else to solve the puzzle independently and compare your solutions.

4. What should I do if I get stuck on a math series puzzle?

If you are having difficulty solving a math series puzzle, take a break and come back to it later with a fresh perspective. You can also try approaching the puzzle from a different angle or seeking help from a friend or teacher.

5. Are there any tips for becoming better at solving math series puzzles?

Practice is key to becoming better at solving math series puzzles. You can also try solving different types of puzzles to improve your pattern recognition skills and logical reasoning. Additionally, learning different mathematical concepts and operations can help you identify patterns more easily.