1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Series problem.

1. Jan 14, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

heres the problem: http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/9660/66702982oe9.png

2. Relevant equations

p series or geometric series?

3. The attempt at a solution

I thought this was a p series, but i was told it was a geometric series?

anyone who can walk me through this problem, please.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2008 #2

nicksauce

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This is a geometric series. A geometric series is in the form [tex]\sum_n x^n[/tex], while a P-Series is in the form, [tex]\sum_n n^p[/tex]. Ignoring the factor of 3, you can solve this series using
    [tex]\sum_{k=101}^\infty 5^{-k} = \sum_{k=0}^\infty 5^{-k} - \sum_{k=0}^{100} 5^{-k}[/tex]. Both right hand terms should have analytic expressions I think.

4. Jan 14, 2008 #3
    In any geometric series all you need to compute the sum is the first term and the common ratio. The sum is always (first term)/(1-common ratio)

5. Jan 15, 2008 #4
  6. Jan 16, 2008 #5

Gib Z

Homework Helper

In your original question, the numerator was not being exponentiated to the k-th power. In your evaluation it is.

It may be best if you rewrite the series as [tex] 3 \sum_{k=101}^{\infty} \left( \frac{1}{5}\right)^k[/tex], and then take into account Mathdopes post.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?