1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Series Question

1. Apr 29, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    (infinity)sigma(k = 0) [2(2/6)^k + (-2/10)^k)

2. Relevant equations
    Geometric Series

3. The attempt at a solution
    I split these up into two geometric series

(infinity)sigma(k = 0) [2(1/3)^k]
    2 / (1 - 1/3)
    r = 3

This diverges.

(infinity)sigma(k = 0) (-1/5)^k
    1 / (1 + 1/5)
    r = 5/6

This converges.

Now, I'm not sure what to do? If it does converge, I need to find its sum o_O.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2007 #2

StatusX

Homework Helper

The first series doesn't diverge. What makes you think it does?

4. Apr 29, 2007 #3
    Oh oops! I see, the |r| value is the ratio. Not the number you get after. The number you get after is what the series converges to?

So 3 + 5/6 = 18 / 6 + 5 /6 --> 23 / 6

Would that be correct?

5. Apr 29, 2007 #4

StatusX

Homework Helper

Yea. Although to be more rigorous, you need to show those two series converge absolutely to justify splitting the sum. This is only a problem for the second one, which is an alternating series, but taking the absolute value of each series gives another converging series, so you're ok.

This might sound like a technicality, and it is, but there are examples where your method would give a wrong answer. For example, it wouldn't work on the series:

[tex] \sum_{n=1}^\infty ((-1)^n+(-1)^{n+1}) [/tex]

There are also examples where it would give you a finite answer, but which would be wrong. These are rare, and I can't think of one off hand, but I'll post one if I do.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2007
  6. Apr 29, 2007 #5
    So to prove that, I would use the ratio test to show absolute convergence? Absolute convergence was very confusing reading from the text book.

I forgot there were other ways to show absolute convergence. Like using harmonic, or comparison or something.

7. Apr 29, 2007 #6

StatusX

Homework Helper

A series [itex]\sum a_n[/itex] converges absolutely iff [itex]\sum |a_n|[/itex] converges. If the series is already positive, like the first one, you're done. Since the second isn't, you need to show that by taking the absolute value, which just amounts to changing -1/5 to 1/5, you still get a series that converges.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?