1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Series question

1. Mar 16, 2008 #1

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    find [tex]lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} n^n q^{2^n}[/tex] where |q|<1

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that [tex]lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} n^{\alpha} q^{n} = 0[/tex] So it looks as if the limit in question should also be equal to 0. But how can I prove this?
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

I just want to check, but there isn't supposed to be a summation in there, is there? If not, then you mean you're looking for the limit of a sequence, no?

What about looking at the limit of the ratio of a_n+1 / a_n ? The factors that don't go to one as n goes to infinity are (n+1) · q^(2^n). With |q|<1, the second term goes to zero much faster than n+1 grows. The ratio of consecutive terms goes to zero, so the sequence should go to zero. That sound OK?
  4. Mar 17, 2008 #3

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Theres always the 'common sense' response: Since it asks to find [tex]\lim_{n\to \infty} n^n q^{(2^n)}[/tex] where |q| < 1, the limit must have the same value for all |q|<1. When q=0, the sequence is equal to 0 for all terms =]

EDIT: Alternative reasoning: [tex]\lim_{n\to \infty} n^n q^{(2^n)} = \lim_{n\to \infty} e^{\ln \left( n^n q^{(2^n) \right)} = \lim_{n\to \infty} e^{( n \ln n + 2^n \ln q)}[/tex]. Since |q|< 1, ln q is some negative constant. We know the natural log grows slower than any power of x, so the first term in the log can not be larger than say, n^2. 2^n is of a higher order, so exponent part goes to negative infinity, and e raised to that is 0. Reword my logic in more rigorous terms please, this is shameful :(
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?