1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Series question

1. Apr 21, 2008 #1

daniel_i_l

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Lets say that I have some sequence [tex](a_n)[/tex] which converges to 0 at infinity and that for all n [tex]a_{n+1} < a_n [/tex] but the sequence [tex](a_n)[/tex] diverges. Now I know that the series
    [tex](cos(n) a_n) [/tex] converges but can I use the following argument to prove that
    [tex]|cos(n) a_n| [/tex] doesn't converge:
    [tex] |cos(n) a_n| >= {cos}^{2}(n) a_n = {a_n}/2 + {(cos(2n)) a_n}/2 [/tex]
    And since [tex]{(cos(2n)) a_n}/2 [/tex] converges and [tex] {a_n}/2 [/tex] diverges
    [tex] {cos}^{2}(n) a_n [/tex] diverges and so [tex] |cos(n) a_n| [/tex] diverges.
    Is that always true?
    Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That seems ok, provided you can prove cos(2n)*a_n converges. Are you using Abel-Dedekind-Dirichlet (summation by parts)? I just figured out how it works, so I had to ask.

4. Apr 22, 2008 #3

daniel_i_l

Gold Member

5. Apr 22, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

6. Apr 22, 2008 #5

daniel_i_l

Gold Member

Well I know that cos(n) has bounded partial sums and cos(2n) = 2(cos(n))^2 - 1 so that means that cos(2n) also has bounded partial sums right?

7. Apr 22, 2008 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not at all! cos(n)^2 doesn't have bounded partial sums and neither does 1! How did you show cos(n) had bounded partial sums?? Try and apply the same technique to cos(2n).

8. Apr 22, 2008 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You mean series rather than that last "sequence", right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?