• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Series question

• Thread starter daniel_i_l
  • Start date
daniel_i_l
Gold Member
1. Homework Statement
Lets say that I have some sequence [tex](a_n)[/tex] which converges to 0 at infinity and that for all n [tex]a_{n+1} < a_n [/tex] but the sequence [tex](a_n)[/tex] diverges. Now I know that the series
[tex](cos(n) a_n) [/tex] converges but can I use the following argument to prove that
[tex]|cos(n) a_n| [/tex] doesn't converge:
[tex] |cos(n) a_n| >= {cos}^{2}(n) a_n = {a_n}/2 + {(cos(2n)) a_n}/2 [/tex]
And since [tex]{(cos(2n)) a_n}/2 [/tex] converges and [tex] {a_n}/2 [/tex] diverges
[tex] {cos}^{2}(n) a_n [/tex] diverges and so [tex] |cos(n) a_n| [/tex] diverges.
Is that always true?
Thanks.

Answers and Replies

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
That seems ok, provided you can prove cos(2n)*a_n converges. Are you using Abel-Dedekind-Dirichlet (summation by parts)? I just figured out how it works, so I had to ask.

daniel_i_l
Gold Member
daniel_i_l
Gold Member
Well I know that cos(n) has bounded partial sums and cos(2n) = 2(cos(n))^2 - 1 so that means that cos(2n) also has bounded partial sums right?

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Well I know that cos(n) has bounded partial sums and cos(2n) = 2(cos(n))^2 - 1 so that means that cos(2n) also has bounded partial sums right?
Not at all! cos(n)^2 doesn't have bounded partial sums and neither does 1! How did you show cos(n) had bounded partial sums?? Try and apply the same technique to cos(2n).

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
1. Homework Statement
Lets say that I have some sequence [tex](a_n)[/tex] which converges to 0 at infinity and that for all n [tex]a_{n+1} < a_n [/tex] but the sequence [tex](a_n)[/tex] diverges.
You mean series rather than that last "sequence", right?