1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Series Question

1. Feb 28, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[tex]\sum_1^{\infty} (1)/(n^3+n+4)[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

I have only done problems where I've been finding whether the series converges or if I have been calculating, it's always been a factorable problem.

3. The attempt at a solution

Once again, I just need a few steps, I'm not asking anyone to solve it completely for me, but I would appreciate some sort of step-by-step breakdown of what to do. Thank you so much guys!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2009 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What are you supposed to do, find the sum or just determine if it converges?

4. Feb 28, 2009 #3
    I'm supposed to calculate the sum correct to six decimal places.

Sorry about that, I was in a hurry to get it posted and forgot to actually put what the question wanted.

5. Mar 1, 2009 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

It's easy to show by the comparison test that the series converges (compare with [itex]\sum 1/n^3[/itex]).

For the approximate sum, just start adding terms in the series. When you get two successive partial sums that are the same in the first 6 decimal places, you're home free.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook