Solving an Unfamiliar Series: A Step-by-Step Guide

• Thread starter wilcofan3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, the conversation is about calculating the sum of the series \sum_1^{\infty} (1)/(n^3+n+4) with an accuracy of six decimal places. It is determined that the series converges and the method for finding the approximate sum is suggested to be adding terms until two successive partial sums are the same in the first six decimal places.
wilcofan3

Homework Statement

[tex]\sum_1^{\infty} (1)/(n^3+n+4)[/tex]

Homework Equations

I have only done problems where I've been finding whether the series converges or if I have been calculating, it's always been a factorable problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

Once again, I just need a few steps, I'm not asking anyone to solve it completely for me, but I would appreciate some sort of step-by-step breakdown of what to do. Thank you so much guys!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What are you supposed to do, find the sum or just determine if it converges?

I'm supposed to calculate the sum correct to six decimal places.

Sorry about that, I was in a hurry to get it posted and forgot to actually put what the question wanted.

It's easy to show by the comparison test that the series converges (compare with [itex]\sum 1/n^3[/itex]).

For the approximate sum, just start adding terms in the series. When you get two successive partial sums that are the same in the first 6 decimal places, you're home free.

1. What is the purpose of solving an unfamiliar series?

The purpose of solving an unfamiliar series is to identify patterns and relationships within a sequence of numbers or terms. This can help to understand the behavior of the series and make predictions about its future values.

2. How do I determine the type of series I am dealing with?

The type of series can be determined by analyzing the differences or ratios between consecutive terms. If the differences or ratios are constant, it is an arithmetic or geometric series, respectively. If they are not constant, it may be a more complex series.

3. What are the steps involved in solving an unfamiliar series?

The steps involved in solving an unfamiliar series are:

• 1. Identify the type of series by analyzing the differences or ratios between consecutive terms.
  • 2. Determine the general formula for the series based on its type.
  • 3. Use the given terms or values to find the missing term or next term in the series.
  • 4. Check your solution by plugging it into the original series.

4. What are some common techniques for solving an unfamiliar series?

Some common techniques for solving an unfamiliar series include using algebraic equations, creating tables or charts to visualize the series, and using the Summation or Sigma notation. Another helpful technique is to break down the series into smaller, simpler parts and find patterns within those parts.

5. How can solving an unfamiliar series be useful in real-life scenarios?

Solving an unfamiliar series can be useful in many real-life scenarios, such as predicting stock market trends, analyzing population growth, and understanding the behavior of natural phenomena like weather patterns. It can also be helpful in solving mathematical and scientific problems, such as calculating the trajectory of a projectile or determining the convergence of a mathematical series.