1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Series quick q.

1. Aug 28, 2012 #1
    ooojN.png

Should the highlighted part not be (k+1)^2, could anyone explain?>

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2012 #2
    Well, it makes sense to me that it would be (2k+1)^2. Since you're summing up to 2k+2, going backwards from the final term you would have (2k+2)^2 then (2k+2 - 1)^2 then (2k+2 - 2)^2, etc. which would make the second to last term (2k+1)^2 and not (k+1)^2. What doesn't make sense to me is that it shows the third to last term as k^2. Using the same method I just described, which I don't see a problem with, you get that the third to last term should be (2k+2 - 2)^2 = (2k)^2 = 4k^2. So, either there's a mistake or I'm missing something. If my reasoning is correct, though, it explains why it's (2k+1)^2

4. Aug 28, 2012 #3
    That makes sense, thanks.

5. Aug 28, 2012 #4
    Glad I could help - if you ever figure out some reason why I'm wrong and it should be k^2 not 4k^2, let me know

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook