1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Series R L circuit

1. Jun 25, 2013 #1
    1. In a series R L circuit, we get this equation for the current i : i(t) = E/R[1-e^(-Rt/L)] where R: Resistance, L: inductance, E: emf

2. My problem is how we get this equation?, why we consider dx/dt + px = c to get the above equation? how the above equation connects with steady response and the transient response of the circuit?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Usually from a mesh analysis - written in differential form, then you solve the differential equation.
    A good text book should show you this.

Because that is the form the DE takes.
    This way you get to use someone elses work as a shortcut. You could always just solve it yourself of course.

That should be clear from the definitions of "steady state" and "transient" response.
    Note: to have a response you have to have something to respond to.

The circuit behaves a bit like a damped and driven harmonic oscillator ... so there will be a short-lived component and a long-lived one.

4. Jul 6, 2013 #3

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This current is the response to a step input of voltage. No other input will yield this response. This IS the transient response. The steady-state response is i = E/R. In this case V = step input voltage V0 U(t).

The basic differential equation is V = Ri + L di/dt, based on the simple fact that for an inductorr V = L di/dt and for a resistor V = iR.

If a sinusoidal voltage V = V0 sin(wt) is applied at t=0 there is a transient as well as a steady-state response. The above diffrerential equation allows solving for both.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted