1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Series- related word problem

1. Jul 29, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Here is the word problem:

A cup of coffee contains about 120 mg of caffeine, while the half life of the caffeine in an adult is about 3.5 hours.

1.) Suppose you ingest a cup of coffee every 6 hours. Obtain an expression for the amount of caffeine , A sub n, remaining in your body just before you drink your nth cup of coffee. Determine limit of [A sub n] as n approaches infinite.

2.) Suppose you require a minimum of 70mg of caffeine to enjoy its benefits. . What is the longest time you can wait between successive cups pf coffee? (in hrs and minutes.)

2. Relevant equations

I believe the only relevant equation for this problem would be taking the half life of caffeine every 3.5 hours

First assuming that a person doesn't take any more caffeine after the first cup, we have the following amounts of caffeine every 3.5 hours:

end of 3.5 hrs=60mg
    7hrs=30mg
    10.5hrs=15mg
    14hrs=7.5mg
    17.5hrs=3.75mg
    21hrs=1.875mg
    24.5hrs=0.9375mg
    28hrs=0.46875mg

we see the amount of caffeine approaching zero, correct?

now I am having trouble correlating the amount of caffeine remaining after 6 hours. After 7 hrs we see that 2 half lives have occured. So if I can find out how much remains after 6 hours, then add the additional cup a series can be created. This is where I need help. Anyone have any idea?

3. The attempt at a solution

see above

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?