1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Series representation

1. Jan 12, 2014 #1
    [itex]\sum\limits_{m=-N}^N e^{-i m c} = \frac{sin[0.5(2N+1) c]}{sin[0.5 c]}[/itex]

I have to show the equality. But I'm absolutely dumbfounded how to even begin. I always hated series. I tried to use Euler's identity.

[itex]e^{-i m c} = cos(mc) - i sin(mc)[/itex]

Then I tried to sum over the 2 terms separately. But I'm not sure if this is even valid and I certainly don't get what I want. Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2014 #2

maajdl

Gold Member

This is a geometric series.

4. Jan 12, 2014 #3
    I have been told this before but I don't see how this helps me to be honest.

∑[itex]q^x = \frac{1 - q^{n+1}}{1 - q}[/itex]

I'm surely overlooking something ... How do I apply this to my exp function?

5. Jan 12, 2014 #4

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

First, note that this formula is correct if the sum is taken from ##0## to ##n##. Your sum goes from ##-N## to ##N##, so you will have to manipulate it before you can apply the formula.

If you don't see why your series is geometric, note that ##e^{-imc} = z^m## where ##z = e^{-ic}##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted