1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Series resonance circuit help

1. Jul 24, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I will give a circuit of 5 passive components and an AC voltage source producing a sinusoidal voltage at a fixed frequency of omega / (2*pi) Hz.
    i will post a picture asking what is being looked for along with the circuit.

2. Relevant equations
    z = R + jwL + 1 / jwc, jw0L + 1 / jw0c = 0, w0 = 1/ sqrt(LC), B = w2 - w1 = R/L = w0/Q, Q = w0L / R = 1/w0RC, w1 = w0 - B/2, w2 = w0 + B/2

3. The attempt at a solution
    clueless on how to make an equivalent circuit.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2012 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

It says it wants you to find the equivalent circuit impedance Z that is formed by those components in that configuration.

There are no obvious simplifications of the circuit, so you need to write the KCL equations for the circuit, to find the Z = Vin/Iin impedance. Use the complex impedances for the L and C components....

4. Jul 24, 2012 #3
    none of the capacitors or inductors are in parallel or series with each other?

5. Jul 24, 2012 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Nope. That's why you need to write the KCL equations to solve this.

6. Jul 24, 2012 #5

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'd be tempted to do parts 2 and 3 first. What happens to L's and C's at DC and very high frequencies?

It's been many years since I did this but I half remember a trick that relies on the impedance of the source being low to simplify the circuit?

7. Jul 24, 2012 #6
    brilliant

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook