Series RLC Circuit Response: Finding Natural and Forced Responses

In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit with a given input function and initial conditions. The goal is to find an expression for the total response by separating it into natural and forced responses. The method involves solving a differential equation and assigning symbols to the components. Two initial conditions are needed for the 2nd order system.
juicev80

Homework Statement

I attached a picture of the circuit.

f(t) = (e-t)u(t), VC(0-) = 2V, iL(0-) = 1A

Obtain an expression for the total response, y(t), for the given system by finding
the natural and the forced responses.

Homework Equations

v(t) = Ri(t)
v(t) = Ldi(t)/dt
v(t) = (1/C)∫i(t)dt

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, the first thing I did was combine the two series resistors. What I am thinking is that I will solve for the response of i(t) and then sub that into the formula f(t) - R*i(t) = y(t). I feel like there should be a way to solve for the voltage y(t) directly, but I haven't been able to figure out how to setup the equation.

So, solving for the response of i(t) I do KVL and get 3i(t) + di(t)/dt + 2[itex]\int[/itex]i(t)dt = f(t), taking this equation and differentiating it, I get: d2 i(t)/dt2 + 3di(t)/dt + 2i(t) = -e-tu(t). The general form of the equation will be i(t) = in(t) + if(t). Solving for the natural response first: d2 i(t)/dt2 + 3di(t)/dt + 2i(t) = 0, Δ(s) = s2 + 3s + 2 = 0 = (s+1)(s+2) so, in(t) = Ae-t + Be-2t for t>0.

So, at this point I need to solve for the forced response using the original equation I found, I don't know exactly how to do that: d2 i(t)/dt2 + 3di(t)/dt + 2i(t) = -e-tu(t).

I have two questions: #1 is it possible to write a differential equation right off the bat which includes y(t)? questions#2 If i am on the right track so far with the above, what is the next step in finding the forced response?

P.S. I know there are much easier ways of solving this but the problem requires that I solve it using this method...

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    10.1 KB · Views: 498
Physics news on Phys.org
First thing is you assign symbols to the components. So you have R1, R2, L and C. Let R1 = 1 ohm.
Now, write your equation for i(t).

Since it's a 2nd order system you need two initial conditions. What is the initial voltage on C? (This has to be given to you in the problem, I'm not asking you to figure it out).

1. What is a Series RLC circuit?

A Series RLC circuit is a circuit that contains a resistor (R), an inductor (L), and a capacitor (C) connected in series. It is a type of electronic circuit used for filtering, oscillation, and resonance applications.

2. What is the response of a Series RLC circuit?

The response of a Series RLC circuit refers to how the circuit reacts to an input signal. This can be characterized by the circuit's current and voltage as a function of time.

3. How does a Series RLC circuit behave in response to different frequencies?

A Series RLC circuit exhibits different behaviors depending on the frequency of the input signal. At resonance frequency, the circuit has a maximum current and minimum impedance. At lower frequencies, the current is lagging and the impedance is mainly resistive. At higher frequencies, the current is leading and the impedance is mainly capacitive.

4. What is the difference between series and parallel RLC circuits?

In a series RLC circuit, the components are connected in a single loop, with the same current flowing through each component. In a parallel RLC circuit, the components are connected in separate branches, with the same voltage applied to each component.

5. How are Series RLC circuits used in practical applications?

Series RLC circuits have many practical applications, such as in filters, oscillators, and resonant circuits. They are also used in electronic devices to regulate and stabilize power supply voltages and to minimize interference from external signals.