Series RLC Circuits: Resonant Frequency of 60° at 40 Hz

In summary, resonance occurs when the total reactance is zero. The impedance is not zero at resonance, the impedance is purely resistive.
Butterfly41398
Poster has been reminded to post schoolwork in the Homework Help forums
Summary:: About resonant frequencies

A series RLC circuit with R = 250 ohms and L = 0.6 H results in a leading phase angle of 60° at a frequency of 40 Hz. At what frequency will the circuit resonate?

Answer is 81.2 Hz but i got a different answer. May someone please correct me.

Attachments

• 20210403_102747.jpg
    20210403_102747.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 159
  • 20210403_102725.jpg
    20210403_102725.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 154
Physics news on Phys.org
If "resonance" meaning it is "impedance=0" it is not possible for ever any frequency, but it is a minimum impedance when XL=XC
Z=[(XL-XC)^2+R^2] and it is for 78.707 Hz

Butterfly41398 said:
At what frequency will the circuit resonate?
What is your definition for "resonance"?
I ask this because there exist some confusion concerning this term.
I think, the most general definition is: Zero phase between voltage and current - identical to a pure real resistance. In some simple cases this requirement is identical to voltage maximum (bandpass) or minimum (bandstop), but this is nothing else than the RESULT of applying the above definition.

Is this homework?

There are two separate problems here.
1. Identify the value of capacitance that will give a leading phase of 60° at 40 Hz.
2. Identify the frequency at which XL + XC = zero.

Unfortunately I am having trouble reading you work.

Babadag said:
... but it is a minimum impedance when XL=XC
Since XC is negative, and XL is positive, resonance is when XL + XC = 0.
At the resonant frequency the total reactance is zero.
The impedance is not zero at resonance, the impedance is purely resistive.

LvW said:
What is your definition for "resonance"?
I ask this because there exist some confusion concerning this term.
I think, the most general definition is: Zero phase between voltage and current - identical to a pure real resistance. In some simple cases this requirement is identical to voltage maximum (bandpass) or minimum (bandstop), but this is nothing else than the RESULT of applying the above definition.
Fort a series RLC circuit, minimum impedance coincides with zero phase difference. For a a parallel RLC circuit, the two do not quite coincide. But this is only noticable when the Q is very low.

tech99 said:
Fort a series RLC circuit, minimum impedance coincides with zero phase difference. For a a parallel RLC circuit, the two do not quite coincide. But this is only noticable when the Q is very low.
For ideal RLC components, I find that hard to believe mathematically. Maybe you are considering the more complex situation where the inductor in a parallel RLC circuit also has some series wire resistance?

It is correct calculated, I think.

Attachments

• RLC Series.jpg
    RLC Series.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 124
Baluncore said:
For ideal RLC components, I find that hard to believe mathematically. Maybe you are considering the more complex situation where the inductor in a parallel RLC circuit also has some series wire resistance?
First of all my apologies for a slip, that the parallel resonant circuit exhibits high not low impedance.
But if you look at Radio Engineering by Terman, or if you draw a phasor diagram, for pure L, C and R in parallel, you will notice that zero phase does not coincide with max impedance. This is only noticeable when the Q is very low, less than say 5. Q may be defined as R/XL for this purpose.

tech99 said:
But if you look at Radio Engineering by Terman, or if you draw a phasor diagram, for pure L, C and R in parallel, you will notice that zero phase does not coincide with max impedance. This is only noticeable when the Q is very low, less than say 5. Q may be defined as R/XL for this purpose.
Terman wrote that early in the 1940s and employed at the time a different definition of the RLC circuits.

For the series RLC circuit, the R component was made from the sum of the L and C series resistances.
Termans series circuit was symbolically ( RL + RC ) + jXL + jXC;

For the parallel circuit, the R components remained in series with both the L and C components, before the subcircuits were placed in parallel.
Termans parallel circuit was symbolically ( RL + jXL ) // ( RC + jXC )

New Bitmap Image.png

That explains why Terman wrote; “Furthermore, the details of the behavior of a low Q parallel circuit also depend upon the division of resistance between the inductive and capacitive branches, upon the way in which the resistance varies with frequency, and upon whether the adjustment to resonance is made by varying the frequency, inductance, or capacity.”

The convention now is to assume ideal components with a single R in series or in parallel with ideal L and C components.

1. What is a Series RLC circuit?

A Series RLC circuit is a circuit that contains a resistor (R), an inductor (L), and a capacitor (C) connected in series. This type of circuit is used to analyze the behavior of an electrical current when it passes through these three components.

2. What is the resonant frequency of a Series RLC circuit?

The resonant frequency of a Series RLC circuit is the frequency at which the inductive reactance (XL) and the capacitive reactance (XC) cancel each other out, resulting in a purely resistive circuit. This frequency is also known as the natural frequency of the circuit.

3. How is the resonant frequency of a Series RLC circuit calculated?

The resonant frequency of a Series RLC circuit can be calculated using the formula fr = 1 / (2π√(LC)), where fr is the resonant frequency, L is the inductance in henries, and C is the capacitance in farads.

4. What is the significance of a 60° phase angle in a Series RLC circuit?

A 60° phase angle in a Series RLC circuit indicates that the circuit is operating at its resonant frequency. At this frequency, the inductive and capacitive reactances are equal and opposite, resulting in a phase difference of 60° between the voltage and the current in the circuit.

5. Why is the resonant frequency of 60° at 40 Hz important in Series RLC circuits?

The resonant frequency of 60° at 40 Hz is important in Series RLC circuits because it represents the point at which the circuit is most efficient. At this frequency, the circuit has the highest impedance, which means it can store and transfer the most energy. This makes it a useful frequency for applications such as tuning radio receivers and designing filters.