1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Series root or ratio test?

1. Mar 23, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Determine whether the series converges or diverges.

[tex]\sum (\sqrt {k} - \sqrt {k - 1})^k[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex](a_k)^\frac{1}{k} = \sqrt{k} - \sqrt{k - 1} [/tex]

What do I do here..?

[tex]= \frac{1}{\sqrt{k} + \sqrt{k-1}} \to 0 ?[/tex]
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I would start with this:
    [tex]\sqrt{k} - \sqrt{k - 1} = \frac{(\sqrt{k} - \sqrt{k - 1})(\sqrt{k} + \sqrt{k - 1})}{\sqrt{k} + \sqrt{k - 1}}[/tex]

4. Mar 23, 2010 #3
    So that is
    [tex]
    \sqrt{k} - \sqrt{k - 1} = \frac{(\sqrt{k} - \sqrt{k - 1})(\sqrt{k} + \sqrt{k - 1})}{\sqrt{k} + \sqrt{k - 1}}
    = \frac {\sqrt{k}^2 - \sqrt{k-1}^2}{\sqrt{k} + \sqrt{k - 1}} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{k} + \sqrt{k-1}} [/tex]

5. Mar 23, 2010 #4
    Then

[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{k} + \sqrt{k-1}} < \frac{1}{\sqrt{k}} = ( \frac{1}{k})^{\frac{1}{2} [/tex]? then converges?

6. Mar 23, 2010 #5

Mark44

You are apparently confusing yourself. You started with the root test, not the comparison test.

BTW, the series whose general term is 1/sqrt(k) diverges, but that's not relevant to what you're doing.

7. Mar 23, 2010 #6
    Ok so I go here [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{k} + \sqrt{k-1}}[/tex] and then I'm kinda stuck

8. Mar 23, 2010 #7

Mark44

Take the limit as k --> infinity. What do you get? Why is this limit important to you? What did you start out doing in your first post?

9. Mar 23, 2010 #8
    I get 0? So the ratio is < 1 so its converges?

10. Mar 23, 2010 #9

Mark44

The limit is < 1. Try not to confuse yourself into think you are working with the ratio test - here it's the root test, so the fact that you are finding the limit of a fraction is not relevant.

11. Mar 24, 2010 #10
    Ok so since [tex]a_k < \mu^k[/tex] and [tex] \mu^k[/tex] converges [tex] a_k [/tex]converges

12. Mar 24, 2010 #11

Mark44

I don't know -- what's [itex]\mu[/itex]? That's the first time it has appeared in this thread.

zeion, you need to step back and take a bigger-picture view of what you're doing. You seem to be getting lost in minute details, and losing track of the purpose of the details.

Maybe it will help you grasp the overall strategy by answering these questions.
    1. What test are you using?
    2. When you use this test, what result indicates that the series you're testing converges?
      What result indicates that the series diverges?
    3. What result did you get?
    4. What can you conclude about the series you are testing?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook