1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Series soln. with singular point to 2nd order linear differential eqn

1. Oct 15, 2013 #1
    So, I'm trying to solve 2nd order linear differential equations (series solutions near a singular point).

(lnx)y" + 0.5y' + y = 0 around the regular singular point x = 1

I got the indicial equation,

r(r-0.5) = 0,

which leads to the roots....

r1 = 0.5, r2 = 0

The problem only asks us to find the first three nonzero terms in the series y1 = Ʃa_n * (x-1)^r+n from n = 0 to infinity. And we only need to find one solution, corresponding to the larger root.

So I took the first and second derivatives of the y1 they gave and plugged it into the differential equation. Now at this point I usually factor out all the x terms. And since the left side has to equal zero for all x, I can divide by that x term to get a recurrence relation (that involves a_n terms). From the relation I can figure out what a_n is. However, in this case, I can't factor out all the x terms because there's a lnx.

Anyone know how to get rid of the lnx?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?