Solving Series ODE: Finding x(0) w/ Problem Statement

In summary, when solving for x in the series, it is important to be careful with the initial condition.
mathman44

Homework Statement

The Attempt at a Solution

I did the "show that" part. But what is throwing me off is the x(0)=0 part. What is "x" a function of? Using the series in the square brackets,

I found that when
n=0, a_1 = a_0 ^2
n=1, a_2 = (a_1 * a_0)/2
n=2, a_3 = (a_0*a_2 + a_1^2 + a_2*a_0)/3

So it would seem that a_3 is still zero because all the terms it is a function of are also zero (or, at least, should be). I'm not confident about this... where did I go wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Whether they mean that x(y=0) = 0 or it's a typo and should have been y(x=0)=0, both give the same results. You use the initial condition to show that a0=0. There's no reason to set x=0 in the recursion relations.

mathman44 said:

Homework Statement

2emooz7.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I did the "show that" part. But what is throwing me off is the x(0)=0 part. What is "x" a function of? Using the series in the square brackets,

I found that when
n=0, a_1 = a_0 ^2
n=1, a_2 = (a_1 * a_0)/2
n=2, a_3 = (a_0*a_2 + a_1^2 + a_2*a_0)/3

So it would seem that a_3 is still zero because all the terms it is a function of are also zero (or, at least, should be). I'm not confident about this... where did I go wrong?

Check your a2, I get a2=a1a0 but that isn't your main problem. For n = 2 you are looking at the coefficient of x2 on the left side. Don't forget there is a -x2 term outside of the sum.

As far as the x(0) = 0 thing, I would bet it is a typo and means y(0) = 0.

Hey phil, I'm pretty sure a3=1/3, and the next nonzero coefficient is a7=1/63, didn't look for the next, I think it's a11=2/2079 though. (we're working together). (btw your a3 equation should be (3a3-a12-2a0a2)x2-x2=0, so the coefficient of the first x2 isn't suppose to be zero.)

Last edited:
Thanks for the help, I got it ;)

1. What is an ODE?

An ODE, or ordinary differential equation, is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is typically used to model physical and natural phenomena.

2. What is a series solution to an ODE?

A series solution to an ODE is an infinite sum of terms that approximates the solution to the equation. It is often used when an exact solution cannot be found or is too difficult to obtain.

3. How do I find x(0) in a series solution to an ODE?

To find x(0), you need to plug in 0 for the independent variable (usually denoted as t) in the series solution. This will give you the value of x at the initial condition, or the starting point of the equation.

4. What is the significance of x(0) in a series solution to an ODE?

x(0) represents the initial condition of the equation and is used to determine the specific solution to the ODE. It is an important value as it can greatly affect the behavior and accuracy of the series solution.

5. Can I use a series solution for any ODE?

No, not all ODEs can be solved using a series solution. It is most commonly used for linear ODEs with constant coefficients, but can also be applied to some non-linear equations. It is important to check the conditions and restrictions for using a series solution before applying it to an ODE.