Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Series solution of de

1. Sep 24, 2015 #1
    Hi guys,

I was browsing in regards to differential equations, the non-linear de and came up with this site in facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/nonlinearDE

Are these people for real? Can just solve any DE like that, come up with a series? Not an expert in this area, so I do not know what if this is actually possible? If it is possible, what are the downfalls?
    Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2015 #2

Geofleur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This paper may be relevant: http://arxiv.org/pdf/1206.2346.pdf. I'm not sure if it's the same people, but the authors seem to be claiming the same thing. I'm not sure I want analytic solutions if they have to be that complicated and ugly. Why not just have a numerical solution for the "full" problem and then compare that with simple analytic solutions that describe "parts" of whatever's going on?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  4. Sep 24, 2015 #3
    Thanks a lot for the reply and paper, I looked through it and it seems similar, however, these fb guys series does not come as power series of x, some times it eventually become a closed form solution which I found very interesting, some times as power series of tanh() for example . They also have a heat PDE in (x,y) plane; I know that I had a similar problem but I had difficulties finding a numerical solution. Is it possible to find a numerical solution to this one? What method do you use? It's a BV problem, shooting method in 2-d?

5. Sep 24, 2015 #4

Geofleur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you mean the heat equation Dirichlet BV problem on the Facebook page then, yes, that can be solved numerically. I would probably use the finite analytic method on it. A good book to look at is the one by Richard Bernatz, Fourier Series and Numerical Methods for Partial Differential Equations. There is a rather egregious error in the front of the book (to a physicist, anyway!) where he says that the solution to the Schrodinger equation represents a velocity, but otherwise it's very good.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook