Series Solution to PDE with Inhomogeneous Term | Step-by-Step Guide

In summary: What is it?In summary, the student is having trouble solving a PDE using the attempt at a solution. They are seeking help from others and have found a way to substitute a known function for an unknown function in order to solve the equation. The student is still having trouble figuring out what is wrong with their original solution.
Dens

Homework Statement

Consider the PDE

Hlyva.jpg

which has the solution

YBDDr.png

The Attempt at a Solution

So what I am having trouble is solving it using this method.

I am going to say that my $$u(x,t) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} u_n(t) \sin(nx)$$ and $$x \sin(t) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}h_n(t)\sin(nx)$$

The reason I chose sine for my inhomogeneous term is because my book recommends it. But I think it is because if I use cosine, I would get a $$\frac{a_0}{2}$$ term and it would be difficult.

To solve for the coefficients of $$h_n(t)$$, I get $$h_n(t) = \frac{2}{\pi}\int_{0}^{\pi} x\sin(t) \sin(nx) dx = \frac{2\sin(t)(-1)^n}{n}$$

Substituting everything into $$u_{tt} = u_{xx} + x\sin(t)$$ gives me

$$ \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}u''_n(t) \sin(nx) + \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}u_n(t)n^2\sin(nx) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{2\sin(t)(-1)^n}{n}\sin(nx)$$

Dividing out that sine, I'll get

$$ \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}u''_n(t) + \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}u_n(t)n^2 = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{2\sin(t)(-1)^n}{n}$$

Here is where I am stuck, can someone tell me what value of n to use?

Because I could get an ODE with many ns

Did I overlooked something?

Thank you very much

Physics news on Phys.org
Why are you saying that

[itex]x sin(t)=\sum_{n=1}^{∞}h_n(t)sin(nx)[/itex]

?

What if you chose a solution that was periodic in time with an unknown function of x, rather than the other way around?

Last edited:
schliere said:
Why are you saying that

[itex]x sin(t)=\sum_{n=1}^{∞}h_n(t)sin(nx)[/itex]

It's a technique my book uses.
What if you chose a solution that was periodic in time with an unknown function of x, rather than the other way around?
You recommend using $$\sum_{n=1}^{∞}h_n(x)\sin(nt)$$?

Nevermind, that way should work. However, you seem to have miscalculated your h_n. One trick you can do (if you have time and the ability to do so) is to plot the series (to a reasonable amount of terms) and see if it matches the function you're trying to represent.

Anyway, you're actually on your way. Continue for the "nth" value of n. Basically you take away all the summations and you can solve the second-order ODE for a function of t. You should be able to find the n's in the x function by using the boundary conditions and for the n's in the time function by using the initial conditions.

schliere said:
Nevermind, that way should work. However, you seem to have miscalculated your h_n. One trick you can do (if you have time and the ability to do so) is to plot the series (to a reasonable amount of terms) and see if it matches the function you're trying to represent.

Anyway, you're actually on your way. Continue for the "nth" value of n. Basically you take away all the summations and you can solve the second-order ODE for a function of t. You should be able to find the n's in the x function by using the boundary conditions and for the n's in the time function by using the initial conditions.

That can't be right because I used WolframAlpha to compute the integral.

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=Integrate[x*Sin[t]*Sin[n*x]%2C{x%2C0%2CPi}]

The sine disappears because n is an integer

Alright, I tried a new technique. Instead of worrying about the ns that may vary. I used a substitution $$a = 2\frac{(-1)^n}{n}$$

So my ODE becomes

$$u'' + n^2 u = a\sin(t)$$

Solving http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=u%27%27+%2B+n^2+u+%3D+a*sin[t]

I get

$$u(t) = 2\frac{(-1)^n\sin(t)}{n(n^2 - 1)} + c_1 \sin(nt) + c_2 \cos(nt)$$

Hence

$$u(x,t) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \left (2\frac{(-1)^n\sin(t)}{n(n^2 - 1)} + c_1 \sin(nt) + c_2 \cos(nt) \right )\sin(nx)$$

Okay so my answer now looks MORE identical to the solution. But something is still off

1. What is a series solution to a PDE?

A series solution to a PDE (partial differential equation) is a method for finding an approximate solution to a PDE by expressing it as an infinite series of simpler functions. This method is often used when analytical solutions are not possible.

2. How does a series solution to a PDE work?

In a series solution, the PDE is rewritten as a linear combination of simpler functions, typically polynomials. The coefficients of the series are then determined by substituting the series into the PDE and solving for each coefficient. This process is repeated until the desired level of accuracy is achieved.

3. What are the advantages of using a series solution to a PDE?

One advantage is that series solutions can provide an accurate approximation to a PDE, even when an analytical solution is not possible. They also allow for the flexibility of choosing different series functions to best fit the problem at hand. Additionally, series solutions can provide insight into the behavior of the PDE and its solutions.

4. What are the limitations of using a series solution to a PDE?

One limitation is that series solutions can only provide approximate solutions, which may not be accurate enough for some applications. Additionally, the accuracy of the solution depends on the choice of series functions and the number of terms included in the series. In some cases, finding the coefficients of the series may also be a difficult or time-consuming process.

5. When is a series solution to a PDE typically used?

A series solution to a PDE is typically used when an analytical solution is not possible or when the PDE is too complex to solve using other methods. It is also commonly used in numerical methods for solving PDEs, as the series can be truncated at a certain level to achieve a desired level of accuracy.