Series Solution to Linear Equations: Finding the Expansion for the Term xy

In summary, when plugging a series into a differential equation, differentiating it reduces the exponent, so there is no need to shift the index. Any extra terms at the beginning of a sum may be where arbitrary constants come from.
WatermelonPig

Homework Statement

I just can't figure out this one term in the series. For a linear equation, one of the the terms is xy. So I need to find a series expansion of this starting at n = 0.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Assume y = sum(anx^n) n = 0
dy/dx = sum(nanx^(n-1)) n = 1
x(dy/dx) = sum(nanx^n) n = 1
Shifting indexes:
x(dy/dx) = sum((n+1)anx^(n+1)) n = 0
But the solution says:
x(dy/dx) = sum(anx^n) n = 0
So by multiplying the x in does that already shift the index?

Physics news on Phys.org
WatermelonPig said:

Homework Statement

I just can't figure out this one term in the series. For a linear equation, one of the the terms is xy. So I need to find a series expansion of this starting at n = 0.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Assume y = sum(anx^n) n = 0
dy/dx = sum(nanx^(n-1)) n = 1
x(dy/dx) = sum(nanx^n) n = 1
Shifting indexes:
x(dy/dx) = sum((n+1)anx^(n+1)) n = 0
But the solution says:
x(dy/dx) = sum(anx^n) n = 0
So by multiplying the x in does that already shift the index?

When you plug a series

y = Σanxn

into a DE, as you have noticed, differentiating it reduces the exponent:

y' = Σnanxn-1

If you were calculating, for example, y' + y and you add these two series, it is convenient to shift the index on the second series so they are both expressed in terms of xn. That makes it easy to collect terms and figure out any recursion formula.

In your example, multiplying y' by x gives:

xy' = Σnanxn

so you don't need to shift the index. Circumstances have already given you xn for your general term. The same thing would happen if y'' was multiplied by x2. But any other power would require shifting the exponent to get xn as the general term.

Ok, that makes sense. I guess I'lll write out the first few terms from now before deciding on indexing.

WatermelonPig said:
Ok, that makes sense. I guess I'lll write out the first few terms from now before deciding on indexing.

Just index each sum to give xn. Any extra terms at the beginning of a sum are usually where the arbitrary constants come from.

What is a series solution to a differential equation?

A series solution to a differential equation is a method used to solve a differential equation by representing the solution as a series of terms, each of which is a polynomial function of the independent variable.

When is a series solution useful?

A series solution is useful when an exact solution to a differential equation cannot be found by other methods, such as separation of variables or using an integrating factor. It is also useful for solving higher order differential equations.

What is a power series?

A power series is a special type of series where each term is a polynomial function of the independent variable raised to a successive power. It is often used in series solutions of differential equations.

How do you determine the coefficients in a series solution?

The coefficients in a series solution can be determined by substituting the series into the differential equation and equating coefficients of the same power of the independent variable. This results in a recursive formula for the coefficients.

What is the radius of convergence in a series solution?

The radius of convergence in a series solution is the distance from the center of the series where the series converges to the actual solution. It is an important factor to consider when using series solutions to ensure the accuracy of the solution.