1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Series solution

1. Dec 19, 2005 #1
    Can someone please explain some steps of a worked example.

Q. Find the power series solutions about z = 0 of 4zy'' + 2y' + y = 0.

(note: y = y(z))

Writing the equation in standard form:

[tex]
    y'' + \frac{1}{{2z}}y' + \frac{1}{{4z}}y = 0
    [/tex]

Let [tex]y = z^\sigma \sum\limits_{n = 0}^\infty {a_n z^n }[/tex]

The indicial equation has roots zero and (1/2).

Using the substitution for y above the DE becomes:

[tex]
    \sum\limits_{n = 0}^\infty {\left[ {\left( {n + \sigma } \right)\left( {n + \sigma - 1} \right) + \frac{1}{2}\left( {n + \sigma } \right) + \frac{1}{4}z} \right]} a_n z^n = 0
    [/tex]...(1)

Demanding that the coefficients of z^n vanish separately in the above equation we obtain the recurrence relation:

[tex]
    \left( {n + \sigma } \right)\left( {n + \sigma - 1} \right)a_n + \frac{1}{2}\left( {n + \sigma } \right)a_n + \frac{1}{4}a_{n - 1} = 0
    [/tex]

What happened to the factor of z which was multiplied by (1/4) in (1)?

If we choose the larger root, 1/2, then the recurrence relation becomes [tex]a_n = \frac{{ - a_{n - 1} }}{{2n\left( {n + 1} \right)}}[/tex]

Setting a_0 = 1 we find...etc

I am told that the larger of the two roots of the indicial equation always leads to a solution. However, I don't understand why a_0 is set equal to one? Is that an arbitrary selection or is it convenient?

Any help would be good thanks.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2005 #2

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's there, it's the [itex]\frac{1}{4}a_{n-1}[/itex]. Do you see why?
    I've never done problems like this before, but if you are getting this by substituting [itex]\sigma = \frac{1}{2}[/itex] into:

[tex]\left( {n + \sigma } \right)\left( {n + \sigma - 1} \right)a_n + \frac{1}{2}\left( {n + \sigma } \right)a_n + \frac{1}{4}a_{n - 1} = 0[/tex]

then you should get:

[tex]a_n = \frac{{ - a_{n - 1} }}{{2n\left( {\mathbf{2}n + 1} \right)}}[/tex]
    Different choices of a0 will give different solutions, and you should indeed expect a family of solutions, not just one solution. Are there any given boundary conditions that might explain the choice of a0 = 1? If not, then perhaps it is just arbitrary/convenient/conventional, I don't know myself.

4. Dec 19, 2005 #3
    There aren't any ICs or BCs in the example so a_0 = 1 might have been chosen simply to illustrate the solution method. Thansk for your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?