1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Series solutions to ODE

1. Mar 24, 2012 #1
    Hey,

I've been trying to solve this ODE using the power series method,

y'' + x^2y = 0,

I end up with (the first sum can start from 0 or 2, i just left it as starting from n=0)

[itex]\[\begin{align}
    & \sum\limits_{n=0\,}^{\infty }{n(n-1){{a}_{n}}{{x}^{n-2}}+}\sum\limits_{n=0}^{\infty }{{{a}_{n}}{{x}^{n+2}}}=0 \\
    & \sum\limits_{n=0\,}^{\infty }{n(n-1){{a}_{n}}{{x}^{n}}+}\sum\limits_{n=0}^{\infty }{{{a}_{n}}{{x}^{n+4}}}=0 \\
    & \sum\limits_{n=0\,}^{\infty }{n(n-1){{a}_{n}}{{x}^{n}}+}\sum\limits_{n=4}^{\infty }{{{a}_{n-4}}{{x}^{n}}}=0 \\
    & \sum\limits_{n=0\,}^{\infty }{n(n-1){{a}_{n}}{{x}^{n}}+}\sum\limits_{n=0}^{\infty }{{{a}_{n-4}}{{x}^{n}}}-{{a}_{-4}}{{x}^{0}}-{{a}_{-3}}x-{{a}_{-2}}{{x}^{2}}-{{a}_{-1}}{{x}^{3}}=0 \\
    & By\,\,Thrm\,\,of\,\,vanishing\,\,coefficients: \\
    & {{a}_{-4}}{{x}^{0}}={{a}_{-3}}x={{a}_{-2}}{{x}^{2}}={{a}_{-1}}{{x}^{3}}=0 \\
    & -n(n-1){{a}_{n}}={{a}_{n-4}}\,\,\,\,\,n=4,5,6,... \\
    \end{align}\]
    [/itex]

but I'm having trouble getting an expression for a2n and a2n+1 since n starts at 4 there's no a2 to write a6 in terms of a0 like im used to doing,

[itex]\begin{align}
    & n(n-1){{a}_{n}}={{a}_{n-4}} \\
    & {{a}_{4}}=\frac{{{a}_{0}}}{4\cdot 3},{{a}_{3}}=\frac{{{a}_{6}}}{6\cdot 5},.... \\
    \end{align}
    [/itex]

Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2012 #2
    y'' + x^2y = 0
    So you use Frobenius method expanding around x0=0, because there are no singularities in the finite interval:
    The guess is: [itex]\sum\limits_{n=0}^{\infty}a_nx^{n+j},\hspace{10pt}a_0\neq 0[/itex]
    So insert like you did: [itex] \sum\limits_{n=0}^{\infty}a_n(n+j)(n+j-1)x^{n+j-2}+a_nx^{n+j+2}[/itex]
    You would like to sum from the same indicies, try taking out the first 4 terms in the 1 term:
    [itex]a_0j(j-1)x^{j-2}+a_1(1+j)jx^{j-1}+a_2(2+j)(1+j)x^{j}+a_3(3+j)(2+j)x^{j+1}+\sum_{n=4}^{\infty}a_n(n+j)(n+j-1)x^{n+j-2}+\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}a_jx^{n+j+2}[/itex]
    So switch the index in the first sequence:
    [itex]a_0j(j-1)x^{j-2}+a_1(1+j)jx^{j-1}+a_2(2+j)(1+j)x^{j}+a_3(3+j)(2+j)x^{j+1}+\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}a_{n+4}(n+4+j)(n+j+3)x^{n+j+2}+\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}a_jx^{n+j+2}[/itex]
    Now you can use linear independence of polynomials like you did before and analyse the inicidial equation.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  4. Mar 24, 2012 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, you don't need the "n+ j" precisely because x= 0 is NOT a singular point.

5. Mar 24, 2012 #4
    Yeah, guess i did the robot here. Sorry. But isn't it right that fuchs theorem would lead to the conclusion that j=0 from the inicidial equation?

6. Mar 24, 2012 #5
    Thanks for your replies guys,

I worked on it a little more and for my solutions I get:

[itex]\begin{align}
    & {{y}_{1}}(x)={{a}_{o}}-\frac{{{a}_{o}}}{3\cdot 4}{{x}^{4}}+\frac{{{a}_{o}}}{3\cdot 4\cdot 7\cdot 8}{{x}^{8}}-\frac{{{a}_{o}}}{3\cdot 4\cdot 7\cdot 8\cdot 11\cdot 12}{{x}^{12}}+... \\
    & {{y}_{2}}(x)={{a}_{1}}x-\frac{{{a}_{1}}}{4\cdot 5}{{x}^{5}}+\frac{{{a}_{1}}}{4\cdot 5\cdot 8\cdot 9}{{x}^{9}}-\frac{{{a}_{1}}}{4\cdot 5\cdot 8\cdot 9\cdot 12\cdot 13}{{x}^{13}}+... \\
    \end{align}[/itex]

Do they look correct?
    I've been trying to find a way to write each of them as sums rather then individual terms but I'm finding it a little hard to write an a2n and an a2n+1 which satisfies the two above solutions.

For example in y2 the factorials go like

3!/5!, 3!7!/5!9!, 3!7!11!/5!9!13!

Is there a way that can be written in terms of n?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook