Series Solutions to Linear ODEs: A Guide for Refreshing Your Skills

In summary, the mathematician was attempting to solve a linear ODE but ran into a problem with dividing by zero. After solving the problem, they were able to derive a recurrence relation for the solution.
arenaninja
Hey everyone. I'm trying to refresh myself of solving linear ODEs. For simplicity's sake, I began by trying to solve
[tex]xy'=xy+y[/tex]
This is actually a separable ODE, and the solution is [tex]y = c_{1}xe^{x}[/tex]. I am attempting to derive the same result from a series solution.
First, rewrite this as a homogeneous equation:
[tex]xy' - xy - y = 0[/tex]
Then, substitute for y and y':
[tex]x \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}na_{n}x^{n-1} - x \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}a_{n}x^{n} - \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}a_{n}x^{n}=0[/tex]
Distribute the x terms into the series:
[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}na_{n}x^{n} - \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}a_{n}x^{n+1} - \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}a_{n}x^{n}=0[/tex]
Powercounting, we see that all but the last term begin at [tex]x^{1}[/tex]. So we take out one term from the last one to obtain
[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}na_{n}x^{n} - \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}a_{n}x^{n+1} - \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}a_{n}x^{n} - a_{0}=0[/tex]
And I believe this effectively implies that [tex]a_{0}=0[/tex]. Moving on, the powers are now correct. Now for a change of index. For the first and last series terms, [tex]n = k[/tex]. For the second, [tex]k = n + 1[/tex].
[tex]\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\left(ka_{k} - a_{k-1} - a_{k}\right)x^{k} = 0[/tex]
So this implies that
[tex]ka_{k} - a_{k-1} - a_{k}= 0[/tex]
And from here we obtain the recurring relation
[tex]a_{k} = \frac{a_{k-1}}{k-1}, k = 1, 2, 3,...[/tex]
My issue with this answer is that it fails at k = 1 (because the denominator would be zero). And even if it weren't, all subsequent elements in the series would be zero.

Where did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem is you are dividing by zero, silly! By dividing by (k-1) you are implicitly assuming that's not = 0. Thus, handle that case separately, so you obtain a_0 = 0. Now, with induction, it shouldn't be hard to show
[tex]
a_k = \frac{a_1}{(k-1)!} , k = 2,3,4,5...
[/tex]

You might be wondering, "What about a_1?" I'll let you figure that part out.

Ahh ok. Your first sentence explains it.

Many thanks!

1. What is a series solution to an ODE?

A series solution to an ODE is an expression that consists of an infinite sum of terms, with each term containing a power of the independent variable multiplied by a coefficient. This type of solution is used to approximate the true solution of the ODE and can be useful when the exact solution is difficult or impossible to obtain.

2. How is a series solution obtained?

A series solution is obtained by substituting a power series into the ODE and solving for the coefficients. The power series is typically centered around the initial condition of the ODE and can be truncated to a finite number of terms for practical use.

3. What are the advantages of using a series solution?

There are several advantages to using a series solution for ODEs. First, it can provide an approximation to the true solution that is more accurate than other methods, such as numerical methods. Additionally, it can provide insight into the behavior of the solution and can reveal important features, such as singularities or oscillations.

4. What types of ODEs can be solved using series solutions?

Series solutions can be used to solve a wide range of ODEs, including linear and nonlinear equations, constant coefficient and variable coefficient equations, and initial value and boundary value problems. However, the series solution method is not always applicable and may not yield a solution for certain types of ODEs.

5. How do I know if a series solution is a good approximation to the true solution?

The accuracy of a series solution can be evaluated by comparing it to the true solution, if known, or by using convergence tests. These tests can determine if the series converges to the true solution or if it diverges, indicating that the series solution is not a good approximation. Additionally, increasing the number of terms in the series can improve the accuracy of the approximation.