1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Series Solutions to TISE

1. Sep 26, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The eigenvalue problem H[itex]\psi[/itex]=E[itex]\psi[/itex] for [itex]\phi[/itex] becomes

-[itex]\phi[/itex]''+2x[itex]\phi[/itex]'+((a(a-1))/x2)[itex]\phi[/itex]+(1-2E)=0

assume that [itex]\phi[/itex](x)=[itex]\sum[/itex]anxn+B, determine B.

2. The attempt at a solution

As a first step I took the first and second derivatives of [itex]\phi[/itex]:

[itex]\phi[/itex]'=[itex]\sum[/itex](n+B)anxn+B-1
    [itex]\phi[/itex]''=[itex]\sum[/itex](n+B-1)(n+B)anxn+B-2

and then substituted these back into -[itex]\phi[/itex]''+2x[itex]\phi[/itex]'+((a(a-1))/x2)[itex]\phi[/itex]+(1-2E)=0; which is

-[itex]\sum[/itex](n+B-1)(n+B)anxn+B-2+2x([itex]\sum[/itex](n+B)anxn+B-1)+((a(a-1))/x2)([itex]\sum[/itex]anxn+B)+(1-2E)=0

And it's at this point (assuming I'm working correctly up to here) that I stop-short mentally; how do I go about solving this monster for B?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2011 #2

kreil

Gold Member

Try computing the terms for n=0, then n=1, n=2, and n=3 then grouping the terms by powers of x to see if any noticeable patterns emerge

4. Sep 26, 2011 #3
    I'm certainly getting the impression there's either a (x-1)2 or a(a-1) in the denominator...

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  5. Sep 27, 2011 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Are you sure the (1-2E) term isn't multiplied by [itex]\phi[/itex]?

6. Sep 27, 2011 #5
    Oh there is! Good catch!

7. Sep 27, 2011 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Look up the method of Frobenius in your math methods book. That's what you're doing here.

To find B, find the relation a0 must satisfy. This is called the indicial equation. By assumption, a0 is not equal to 0, so the relation will only hold for certain values of B.

8. Sep 27, 2011 #7
    Thanks for the help! I'll go look Frobenius up in Arfken.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook