Convergent Sum of Sine Series with Added Term for Continuity

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the sum and sum of the first five terms of the series \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{sin(nx)}{2^nn} from 1 to infinity. The solution involves using the comparison test and expressing sin(nx) as a Taylor series. The final solution is \tan^{-1}(3\tan\frac{x}{2})-\tan^{-1}(\tan\frac{x}{2}) and is continuous and periodic. There is also discussion about finding an analytical solution for \int\frac{3}{10-8\cos{x}}dx, but it is solved using Mathematica.
Hells_Kitchen
Find the convergent sum and find the sum of first five terms
[tex]
\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{sin(nx)}{2^nn}
[/tex] from 1 to infinity.

I have found so far that:
[tex]
\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{sin(nx)}{2^n} = \frac{2sin(x)}{5-4cos(x)}
[/tex] I am not sure how to consider the [tex]\frac{1}{n}[/tex] term.

Can someone please help?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly does "find the convergent sum" mean? If you mean just "find the sum", it would seem very strange that you are also asked to find the sum of the first 5 terms. You can show that the series does converge by the "comparison test".

By the way the result given above by expressing [tex]\sin(nx)=\frac{\exp(inx)-\exp(-inx)}{2i}[/tex] Then I applied the geometric infinite series for the
[tex]\frac{\exp(ix)}{2}[/tex] to the n-th power and [tex]\frac{\exp(-ix)}{2}[/tex] to the n-th power.

Doing some algebra we get that
[tex]

\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{sin(nx)}{2^n} = \frac{2sin(x)}{5-4cos(x)}

[/tex]

HallsofIvy,

I am sorry if I was a little misleading. The problem is simply to find the sum. The second part of the problem is actually to plot the answer that we find as a function of x and the sum of the first five terms for n=1,2,3,4,5 in the interval -5<x<5.

I think the idea is to compare how the overall sum compares to the sum of the first five terms. I am guessing that after five terms there should not be very much change because of the 1/n term and 2^n term for large n the f(nx) should be approximately zero.

What do you think?

Please also find the attached document for full derivation so far. I am stuck with the [tex]\frac{1}{n}[/tex] term. Can someone please suggest a solution or help.

Thank you so much!

Attachments

• Date.pdf
    789.7 KB · Views: 194
The 1/n factor you left out of each term will make all the difference in the world.

I suggest expressing sin(nx) as a Taylor series, using perhaps k for an index, and switching the order of summation.

If it is not of too much trouble can you please expand on your answer a little further.

Do you think there is a way to convert this into.
[tex] \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}f(x)g(x) =\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}f(x) *[]= \frac{2sin(x)}{5-4cos(x)} *[][/tex]
and consider[tex] f(x)=\frac{sin(nx)}{2^n}[/tex]. Finding the [tex][][/tex] then would solve the problem ...

Hells_Kitchen said:
If it is not of too much trouble can you please expand on your answer a little further.

[tex] \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}f(x)g(x) =\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}f(x) *[]= \frac{2sin(x)}{5-4cos(x)} *[][/tex]
and consider[tex] f(x)=\frac{2sin(x)}{5-4cos(x)}[/tex]. Finding the [tex][][/tex] then would solve the problem ...
Sure, I can expand that. In fact I was in the process of doing that when a new idea occurred to me.

New idea:
Evaluate S'(x) in a manner similar to what you did in the pdf in the link you posted. Taking the derivative w.r.t x will get rid of the 1/n.

You get a sum similar to the one you evaluated except it has cos(nx) rather than sin(nx).

(I'll continue to LaTeX-ify details for my previous suggestion - just in case, but I like the idea in this post much better.)

Last edited:
Hells_Kitchen said:

and consider[tex] f(x)=\frac{sin(nx)}{2^n}[/tex]. Finding the [tex][][/tex] then would solve the problem ...
Expanded version:

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{sin(nx)}{2^nn} = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\left(\frac{1}{n\,2^n}\,\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^k\,n^{2k+1}}{(2k+1)!}\,x^{2k+1}\right)[/tex]
[tex]=\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\left(\frac{(-1)^k\,x^{2k+1}}{(2k+1)!}\, \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{n^{2k+1}}{n\,2^n}\,\right)[/tex]

[tex]=\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\left(\frac{(-1)^k\,x^{2k+1}}{(2k+1)!}\, \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{n^{2k}}{2^n}\,\right)[/tex]​
But, I don't think the sum over n is all that easy to evaluate..

SammyS,

I think your suggestion with the S'(x) was genius. Here is what I got for final result. Can you please check me?

I'm stuck now with finding an analytical solution to:

[tex]\int\frac{3}{10-8\cos{x}}dx[/tex] but I solved in mathematica and it gives:

[tex]\tan^{-1}(3\tan\frac{x}{2})[/tex]

Any suggestions how to handle this animal to solve it analytically?

Anyway thank's again for the great suggestion!

Attachments

• Date2.pdf
    874.8 KB · Views: 158
Sorry I had a mistake for the n=0 term. I took it to be 1/2 instead of 1. here is the corrected version.

The integral now becomes:
[tex]\int\frac{2\cos{x}-1}{5-4\cos{x}}dx=\tan^{-1}(3\tan\frac{x}{2})-\frac{x}{2}[/tex]
Again using mathematica

Attachments

• Date2.pdf
    874.9 KB · Views: 183
Looks very nice.

Looking at the initial form for S(x) (in your Original Post), it's clear that S(0) = 0, so the constant of integration is zero and all is well!

Last edited:
OPPS! There is a problem with the solution: [tex]S(x)=\tan^{-1}(3\tan\frac{x}{2})-\frac{x}{2}[/tex]

When x is an odd integer multiple of π, S(x) is discontinuous because of arctan(3tan(x/2)), which is periodic and has jump discontinuities at odd multiples of π.

This can be fixed by replacing the trailing x/2 with arctan(tan(x/2)), since it is being subtracted and it has exactly the same jump discontinuities.

If you look at the graph of S'(x) it's clear that its integral should be continuous and periodic.

It's too late to edit the previous post.

To make S(x) continuous at x = (2n+1)π, for n an integer, define:
S(x)=0, if x=(2n+1)π,
S(x)=tan-1(3tan(x/2)) - tan-1(tan(x/2)),
otherwise.

1. What is series summation convergence?

Series summation convergence is a mathematical concept that refers to the behavior of a series (a sequence of numbers) as the number of terms in the series increases. A series is considered to converge if the sum of its terms approaches a finite value as the number of terms increases, and diverges if the sum does not approach a finite value.

2. How do you determine if a series converges or diverges?

There are several methods for determining convergence or divergence of a series, including the comparison test, the ratio test, and the integral test. These tests involve analyzing the behavior of the terms in the series and can help determine if the series will converge to a finite value or diverge to infinity.

3. What is the difference between absolute and conditional convergence?

Absolute convergence refers to a series that converges when all terms are taken as positive values. Conditional convergence refers to a series that converges when both positive and negative terms are included, but the sum of the absolute values of the terms diverges. In other words, absolute convergence guarantees convergence, while conditional convergence does not.

4. Can a series converge to more than one value?

No, a series can only converge to a single value. If a series converges, it means that the sum of its terms approaches a finite value as the number of terms increases. If a series converged to multiple values, its behavior would be undefined and would not fit the definition of convergence.

5. How is series summation convergence used in real-life applications?

Series summation convergence is used in many fields, including physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to analyze the behavior of systems that involve a series of values, such as the movement of objects in physics or the calculation of interest rates in economics. Understanding series convergence can help make accurate predictions and calculations in these fields.