1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Series test ?

1. May 23, 2012 #1
    [tex] \sum_{r=1}^{\infty} \frac{r!}{3^{r^{2}}} [/tex]

My solution:

[tex] \frac{3^{r^2}}{r!} > r^2 [/tex]

So [tex] \frac{r!}{3^{r^2}} < \frac{1}{r^2} [/tex]

So as 1/r^2 converges, it converges by comparison test.

This was in my exam today, I messed up a lot leading up to it. But the question said I could use any test in general to work this out.

It was work 6 marks which is quite a bit so is my solution okay ?

2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2012 #2

sharks

Gold Member

Use the ratio test. The latter is always preferable whenever factorials are involved.

4. May 23, 2012 #3
    It was in my exam, it's already over. I did the ratio test for some reason cut it out and put this instead as it was smaller.

It's correct right ?

5. May 23, 2012 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

How do you know this?? I'm not saying it's wrong, but it should have an explanation.

6. May 23, 2012 #5
    I evaluated a few terms during the exams(beginning with 1) its not a little bigger it's ALOOOT bigger. So much so that you can't evaluate beyond r=13 as size of the number is too big.

At r=14 there are more digits in the result than atoms in the universe so it kinda goes without saying that its bigger than r^2.

Regardless, I'm hoping no marks are deducted as we are interested in the asymptotic difference and if it's huge...

Last edited: May 23, 2012
  7. May 23, 2012 #6

sharks

Gold Member

Here's my attempt using ratio test:
    [tex]u_n=\frac{r!}{3^{r^{2}}}[/tex]
    [tex]u_{n+1}=\frac{(r+1)!}{3^{(r+1)^2}}=\frac{(r+1)r!}{3^{r^2+2r+1}}=\frac{(r+1)r!}{3^{r^2}.3^{2r}.3^1}[/tex]
    [tex]L= \lim_{r\to\infty}\frac{u_{n+1}}{u_n}=\lim_{r\to \infty} \left( \frac{(r+1)r!}{3^{r^2}.3^{2r}.3}\times \frac{3^{r^{2}}}{r!} \right) =\lim_{r\to\infty}\frac{(r+1)}{3^{2r}.3}= \lim_{r\to\infty}\frac {(r+1)}{9^r.3}[/tex]The limit is an indeterminate form ∞/∞, so using L'Hopital's rule:[tex]\lim_{r\to\infty}\frac {1}{9^r.3\ln 9}=\frac{1}{\infty}=0[/tex]
    Since L < 1, therefore the original series converges.

Last edited: May 23, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook