Solving Series Tests with n > 1: What to Do?

• Thread starter icochea1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, the tests apply equally well to sums in which the index of summation starts at some finite integer larger than one because you can always change finitely many terms of a series (or sequence) without affecting whether or not the series (or sequence) converges.
icochea1
I see that most series tests says that it needs to be like

(infinity)
E (An)
n=1

what happens when you get a problem that is for example n=2 or n=3?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, we start with n=2,3,.. sometimes because of the function at question. But it doesn't make any difference, since the addition or subtraction of a finite number of terms doesn't affect the convergence of a series.

sutupidmath said:
Well, we start with n=2,3,.. sometimes because of the function at question. But it doesn't make any difference, since the addition or subtraction of a finite number of terms doesn't affect the convergence of a series.

so for example if I have to use the Alternating Series test and n=2 I just work the same as if it equaled to 1?

sometimes if you are comparing two series, say a, b. it might happen that for example

a<b, only for n> say 4 or sth.

Are you referring to tests which tell you whether or not some given infinite series converges?

If so, the tests apply equally well to sums in which the index of summation starts at some finite integer larger than one because you can always change finitely many terms of a series (or sequence) without affecting whether or not the series (or sequence) converges.

Last edited:
Pere Callahan said:
Are you referring to tests which tell you whether or not some given infinite series converges?

If so, the tests apply equally well to sums in which the index of summation starts at some finite integer larger at one because you can always change finitely many terms of a seris (or sequence) without affecting whether or not the series (or sequence) converges.

thanks so much that's all I needed to know. An exception would be for example if Its a geometric series and I need to get a number right?

icochea1 said:
thanks so much that's all I needed to know. An exception would be for example if Its a geometric series and I need to get a number right?

This is right. For a geometric series you can write

[tex]
\sum_{n=N}^\infty{q^n}=\sum_{n=1}^\infty{q^n}-\sum_{n=1}^{N-1}{q^n}=\frac{q}{1-q}-\frac{q-q^N}{1-q}=\frac{q^N}{1-q}
[/tex]

which is (of course) different from what you would expet for a "complete" geometric series, corresponding to N=1 (or N=0, as you like). However, for each natural N, the series converges exactly for all q whose absolute value is strictly less than unity.

Last edited:

1. What is a series test?

A series test is a mathematical tool used to determine whether a given series (a sequence of numbers) is convergent or divergent. It helps to determine the behavior of a series as the number of terms approaches infinity.

2. What is the importance of the "n > 1" condition in solving series tests?

The "n > 1" condition refers to the number of terms in a series. This condition is important because it allows us to use specific series tests that are only applicable when the number of terms is greater than 1. It helps to narrow down the possible tests that can be used, making the process of solving series tests more efficient.

3. What are some common series tests used for n > 1?

Some common series tests used for n > 1 include the Ratio Test, the Root Test, the Comparison Test, and the Limit Comparison Test. Each test has its own conditions and methods, but they all help to determine the convergence or divergence of a series with n > 1.

4. How do you know which series test to use?

The choice of series test depends on the given series and its characteristics. It is important to carefully analyze the series and check for any patterns or similarities with known series. It may also be helpful to try multiple tests to see which one gives the most conclusive result.

5. Can series tests be used for all types of series?

No, not all types of series can be solved using series tests. There are certain types of series, such as alternating series or series with non-negative terms, that have specific tests designed for them. It is important to understand the limitations of series tests and use them accordingly.