Serious Deadhead - The Benefits of Friendship

• Thread starter Danger
  • Start date
In summary, the grumpy crank is upset that some rules are in place at PF and he thinks that they should be less strict. He is also certain that he has a revolutionary new theory that has not been studied by mainstream physicists. Other members of the forum disagree with him and think that he should try to get his theory published before making such claims.
Danger
Gold Member
Awww, Moonie... you went and locked that idiot's thread before I could tell him where to go and what to do when he gets there. And I thought that you were my friend... :frown:
A few more like you around, and we probably wouldn't even be able to have wars. Then where would all of the taxes go? :tongue:

Physics news on Phys.org
I was going to point out to our pompous and arrogant guest, that some of us do have degrees, and we do review papers for major journals in our respective fields.

And like we request of students about homework - please show some effort on your part. We are not here to do your work for you.

Is this thread still up? It's sounds like it'd be hoot to read!:rolleyes:

Its the first thread that is locked below in this forum. If you search for the users posts there is a locked thread in cosmology but his theory was removed.

Kurdt said:
Its the first thread that is locked below in this forum. If you search for the users posts there is a locked thread in cosmology but his theory was removed.

Well that was good!

Last edited:
The grumpy crank

Just read it :rofl:

The rest of us who are university educated do not have a problem with the posting rules, nor are they too strict or onerous.

Now I have to wonder about that university :rolleyes:

This is the thing I don't get. People like this guy say that the rules here are too strict and that we should discuss non published theories, but if they aren't publishable, what's the point? This is the reason the scientific community has journals is too recognize important theories and experimental results and to report them. Hypothetically, if this guy's theory is as important and profound as he claims, then he should be able to get it published eventually, and if he can get it published if he adheres to the journal's rules, he should be able to follow IR's relatively more lenient rules.

G01 said:
Hypothetically, if this guy's theory is as important and profound as he claims, then he should be able to get it published eventually, and if he can get it published if he adheres to the journal's rules, he should be able to follow IR's relatively more lenient rules.

PF is actually very lenient when it comes to people airing their opinions, as evidenced by the fact that I haven't been banned (yet :uhh:).
What pissed me off about this guy was his certitude that he has an Earth-shattering revolution in physics, despite his acknowlegement that he's never studied phyisics.
Frankly, I expected this to be a one-post thread just to make a statement. Then I saw that Astro had responded, and was afraid to read it because I expected a reprimand for sniping (ie: entering into a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent). Once I saw that a few others of you had piped up, I revisited the thread. And again, you all surprised me by agreeing. There has to be something wrong with that. I like it, but there has to be something wrong. Back, sheep, I say... back to your pens.
Now here's a paradox if ever I encountered one. There are enough people in my town who don't know me at all, and yet know the name behind me, that I thought about forming a cult. The only problem is, I would demand of anyone in my cult that they be free-thinkers. There's some sort of a problem there, which I believe will restrict my income.

Danger said:
PF is actually very lenient when it comes to people airing their opinions, as evidenced by the fact that I haven't been banned (yet :uhh:).
What pissed me off about this guy was his certitude that he has an Earth-shattering revolution in physics, despite his acknowlegement that he's never studied phyisics.
Frankly, I expected this to be a one-post thread just to make a statement. Then I saw that Astro had responded, and was afraid to read it because I expected a reprimand for sniping (ie: entering into a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent). Once I saw that a few others of you had piped up, I revisited the thread. And again, you all surprised me by agreeing. There has to be something wrong with that. I like it, but there has to be something wrong. Back, sheep, I say... back to your pens.
I couldn't resist. I would have posted in the other thread, but it's locked.

The key point is that PF is supportive of those who are serious about science and academics.

What really gets me is "Where are the "Outside Mainstream" and "Independent Research" forums?", and the insistence that one be ushered about PF, when one shows no attempt or effort at navigating oneself.

Now here's a paradox if ever I encountered one. There are enough people in my town who don't know me at all, and yet know the name behind me, that I thought about forming a cult. The only problem is, I would demand of anyone in my cult that they be free-thinkers. There's some sort of a problem there, which I believe will restrict my income.
Careful - you'll have a contradiction named after you.

Last edited:
Astronuc said:
Careful - you'll have a contradiction named after you.

As an atheist with a menopausal wife and step-kids who hate my guts (although we've only met twice for a couple of minutes), that's probably my only shot at immortality. Go for it.

Danger said:
I thought about forming a cult. The only problem is, I would demand of anyone in my cult that they be free-thinkers. There's some sort of a problem there, which I believe will restrict my income.

Well, you need to call it a "church" so you can seek tax-exempt status. How about Church of the Skeptical Shepard?

Per Astronuc, we predict this flock will contain no sheep.

Last edited:
Okay, folks, you've had your fun. Everyone here knows that we don't allow discussion of locked threads to continue, especially when the only purpose is to poke fun at another member. Alas, this one must meet the same fate and be locked as well.

1. What is the concept of "Serious Deadhead - The Benefits of Friendship"?

The concept of "Serious Deadhead - The Benefits of Friendship" is based on the idea that being a part of the Grateful Dead community, also known as the Deadhead community, can have positive effects on one's mental and emotional well-being. This includes forming strong friendships with other Deadheads and experiencing a sense of belonging and connection.

2. How does being a part of the Deadhead community benefit one's mental health?

Being a part of the Deadhead community can benefit one's mental health in various ways. For many Deadheads, attending concerts and participating in other community events can serve as a form of stress relief and provide a sense of joy and happiness. Additionally, the strong sense of camaraderie and support within the community can help alleviate feelings of loneliness and isolation.

3. Are there any scientific studies that support the benefits of being a Deadhead?

While there is limited scientific research specifically on the Deadhead community, there have been studies on the benefits of music and social connections on mental health. These studies have shown that participating in music-related activities and having strong social connections can have positive effects on mental well-being, which aligns with the experiences of many Deadheads.

4. Can being a part of the Deadhead community have any physical health benefits?

While the primary focus of "Serious Deadhead - The Benefits of Friendship" is on the mental and emotional benefits, there can also be physical health benefits to being a part of the Deadhead community. Attending concerts and participating in other community events often involves dancing and movement, which can contribute to physical fitness. Additionally, the sense of community and support can help reduce stress and improve overall well-being.

5. How can one become a part of the Deadhead community?

The Deadhead community is open and welcoming to all who appreciate and connect with the music and philosophy of the Grateful Dead. Attending concerts and other community events is a great way to become a part of the community. There are also online forums and social media groups dedicated to Deadheads where one can connect with others and find out about upcoming events and gatherings.