Discover the Mysteries of the Koch Snowflake Area with Expert Math Help"

• Thread starter Euphoriet
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around finding the area for the Koch Snowflake and the equations involved. The speaker struggled to understand the equations and how they were derived, particularly the (1-(4/9)^n)/(1-4/9) part. They also mentioned a stage variable and provided an equation for the sum of (4/9)^i. The conversation ended with a discussion on how to add the fractions in the equation and a final equation for the whole thing.
Euphoriet
I'm trying to find the area for the Koch Snowflake... I can't really figure it out... I found a couple of equations online (I can't really understand how most work.. or how they have been "derived".. including the mathworld one)

I'm looking at the following formula (seems to work.. but I can't figure out the (1-(4/9)^n)/(1-4/9) part.. something to do with an infinite geometric series right?
---
Equation:

(sqr(3))/4) + [ ((sqr(3)/12 )) * (1-(4/9)^s)) ] / (1-4/9)

(sorry I could not figure out the pretty print stuff either.)
s = stage of snowflake/fractal, starting from 0

Physics news on Phys.org
oops.. sorry about the other thread.. oh well

Euphoriet said:
I'm trying to find the area for the Koch Snowflake... I can't really figure it out... I found a couple of equations online (I can't really understand how most work.. or how they have been "derived".. including the mathworld one)

I'm looking at the following formula (seems to work.. but I can't figure out the (1-(4/9)^n)/(1-4/9) part.. something to do with an infinite geometric series right?
Yes, that is the sum, from i= 0 to n-1, of (4/9)^i

---
Equation:

(sqr(3))/4) + [ ((sqr(3)/12 )) * (1-(4/9)^s)) ] / (1-4/9)

(sorry I could not figure out the pretty print stuff either.)
s = stage of snowflake/fractal, starting from 0
Uh, that's not an equation! There is no "=". I'm not sure what you want to do with it. Add the two fractions? If so, then, of course, 1- 4/9= 5/9 so "(1-(4/9)^s/(1- 4/9)" is
[tex] \frac{1-\left(\frac{4}{9}\right)^s}{1- \frac{4}{9}}= \frac{1-\left(\frac{4}{9}\right)^s}{5/9}= \frac{9(1-\left(\frac{4}{9}\right)^s)}{4}[/tex]
I come out with, for the whole thing,
[tex]\frac{\sqrt{3}+ \frac{3\sqrt{3}}{4}\left(1- \frac{4}{9}\right)^s}{4}[/tex]

Double click on the "pretty print" (Latex) to see the code.

1. What is the Koch Snowflake Area?

The Koch Snowflake Area is a mathematical concept that describes the area of a fractal known as the Koch Snowflake. This fractal is created by repeatedly dividing an equilateral triangle into smaller equilateral triangles and removing the middle section. The process is then repeated on each remaining side, creating a more complex shape with each iteration.

2. How is the Koch Snowflake Area calculated?

The Koch Snowflake Area can be calculated using a mathematical formula that takes into account the number of iterations and the length of the original side of the equilateral triangle. The formula is A = (4/3) * √3 * s^2 * n, where A represents the area, s represents the side length, and n represents the number of iterations.

3. Why is the Koch Snowflake Area considered a fractal?

A fractal is a geometric shape that exhibits self-similarity at different scales. This means that as you zoom in on a fractal, you will see the same pattern repeating itself. The Koch Snowflake Area is considered a fractal because it follows this self-similar pattern with each iteration, creating a more complex shape with infinitely small details.

4. How can understanding the Koch Snowflake Area be useful?

Understanding the Koch Snowflake Area can be useful in various fields such as geometry, mathematics, and computer science. It can help in understanding concepts of self-similarity, iteration, and infinite geometric patterns. In computer science, the Koch Snowflake Area is used in image compression techniques.

5. Can expert math help really make a difference in understanding the mysteries of the Koch Snowflake Area?

Yes, expert math help can make a significant difference in understanding the mysteries of the Koch Snowflake Area. A trained mathematician can provide in-depth explanations and guidance on how to calculate and visualize the area of the Koch Snowflake. They can also help in understanding the underlying mathematical concepts and their applications in various fields.