Serious Suggestions for Forums

• Thread starter LogicalAtheist
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around suggestions for organizing the forum sections. The speaker suggested creating separate sections for biology and chemistry, as well as a logic section. They also questioned the placement of categories such as "Mystics and PseudoScience" and "Philosophy" in the science tier, suggesting they should be moved to an "all about non-science" section. The conversation also mentioned the recent change in the Religion-Philosophy forums and the idea of having a mentor to assist with forum sections. However, there was also a suggestion to relax and enjoy the forums rather than taking them too seriously. Overall, there were varied opinions on how the forum sections should be organized, with some agreeing and others suggesting that the
LogicalAtheist
Hello all. I'm a new but quite active member here, who focuses attention on the science forums. I have a few observational suggestions I wanted to share.

1. The "other science" section currently incompasses Biology and Chemistry and other areas. Those two systems, along with Physics are considered the 3 fundamental areas of science. I personally would like to see them get there own sections equal in the tier to physics and math.

2. I noticed that a few LOGIC posts came up in the philosophy section. While indeed the two sometimes cross, LOGIC, and especially FORMAL LOGIC take a very mathematic approach, and thus I thought might deserve there own forum judging on how much attention they get.

3. All the catagories mentioned above exist, or would logically exist under the "all about science" section. I am confused as to why such catagories as "Mystics and PseudoScience", "Philosophy" and it's subcategory "Religion" are in this section. I think that, removing my personal opinions, these three areas certainly shouldn't be in the science tier! My suggestion would be that the "all about science" section should have a comparable "all about non-science" section which would thus be appropriate for all of these, and others.

4. As an add-on, there was a recent change in the Religion-Philosophy forums. I would think religion and philosophy are as separate as physics and cookies, and thus they should not be subdirectories of each other.

5. Currently under "general discussion" is politics and world affairs. I would say this too should be under "all about non-science".

6. Homework Help - I just thought this section was so cool. I doubt I'll need to use it as I alway look for answers myself! But this is nice.

Just a few observations, I don't think any of them are too controversial. Perhaps people can sound off if they agree, disagree or don't care. Glad to be here and hopefully overtime will become well known here!

Also, if any of these sections or others need assistance from a "mentor" I have enough time to be attentive.

Physics news on Phys.org
your approach seems very serious towards these forums, while most of us here are more about expressing a wide spectrum of ideas, thus why we have philosophy and the psuedo-science forum...both tie into science in one way or another and it would be impossible to run this forum without having this sub categories for those discussions to carry on...

i would suggest you allow yourself to relax here and enjoy yourself, as this is not school or a job, but just a place to exchange ideas, conversations, opinions while having some fun...

i would suggest you allow yourself to relax here and enjoy yourself, as this is not school or a job, but just a place to exchange ideas, conversations, opinions while having some fun...
Now, if we could only get LogicalAtheist to come out of his shell...

I think there are many ways that discussion topics could be organized, but no single way is likely to meet with a consensus of approval

I think there are many ways that discussion topics could be organized, but no single way is likely to meet with a consensus of approval

Right, the forums are grouped the way they are for simplicities sake. They are grouped how the majority of visitors would expect see this site I believe.

I know a few other science forums that have tons of forums and categories. You have to scroll a lot and really think what category your topic goes into. Also I think it segregates minds too much.

Ok, I'll shut up. To me however, some of my ideas seem appropriate, as philosophy is one of the 3 arch enemies of science. Thus here we have an event called "sleeping with the enemy". Heh.

I would like to see a biology section open up though. I an speak volumes about it, and it's certainly a staple of science. Perhaps in the future?

Best wishes...

Originally posted by Greg Bernhardt
Right, the forums are grouped the way they are for simplicities sake. They are grouped how the majority of visitors would expect see this site I believe.
I think every forum takes some time to get settled into. Once settled in all seems quite natural. I’m still recovering from the events of yesterday anywho.

I know a few other science forums that have tons of forums and categories. You have to scroll a lot and really think what category your topic goes into. Also I think it segregates minds too much.
I can adapt (eventually) to any system. I do, however, enjoy being able to look down at the topics started under a single heading and see diversity, as in;

A: Educational
B: Insightful
C: Whacko

Etc.

Originally posted by LogicalAtheist
1. The "other science" section currently incompasses Biology and Chemistry and other areas. Those two systems, along with Physics are considered the 3 fundamental areas of science. I personally would like to see them get there own sections equal in the tier to physics and math.

The thing is, we have so many physics and math people here that it warrants separate forums. As for bio, we have Another God, Zimbo, and you. As for chem, we have Bystander, Chemicalsuperfreak, and Monique.

You could make a better case for separate chem and bio forums by recruiting chem and bio people!

2. I noticed that a few LOGIC posts came up in the philosophy section. While indeed the two sometimes cross, LOGIC, and especially FORMAL LOGIC take a very mathematic approach, and thus I thought might deserve there own forum judging on how much attention they get.

I don't think a Logic forum is necessary. I have two logic threads that I am about to revive: one in philosophy and one in Math, and they fit nicely there. A topic about how to use logic in an argument I would put in philosophy, and a topic about how to prove things about logic I would put in math.

3. All the catagories mentioned above exist, or would logically exist under the "all about science" section. I am confused as to why such catagories as "Mystics and PseudoScience", "Philosophy" and it's subcategory "Religion" are in this section. I think that, removing my personal opinions, these three areas certainly shouldn't be in the science tier! My suggestion would be that the "all about science" section should have a comparable "all about non-science" section which would thus be appropriate for all of these, and others.

4. As an add-on, there was a recent change in the Religion-Philosophy forums. I would think religion and philosophy are as separate as physics and cookies, and thus they should not be subdirectories of each other.

I think you have a point there.

5. Currently under "general discussion" is politics and world affairs. I would say this too should be under "all about non-science".

That forum is a bit informal to be grouped with Philosophy, I think.

6. Homework Help - I just thought this section was so cool. I doubt I'll need to use it as I alway look for answers myself! But this is nice.

Yeah. And the moderator is really cool, too!

Last edited:
Tom, you are pretty cool. I like your posts. glad to hear you agree with me in a few things. I don't know anyone to join the bio or chem sections.

I wasn't sure the size of the audience here either. I would hope as this place blossoms it might open up, but I would have to say that making those bgiger sectio might be the best first step.

However, i may very well run some strictly moderated purely science forums (no religou phil and politics) and perhaps they will pair up nicely.

As an add-on, there was a recent change in the Religion-Philosophy forums. I would think religion and philosophy are as separate as physics and cookies, and thus they should not be subdirectories of each other.

*frown* Philosophy and religion tie into each other in many areas and it is hard to believe that you say they are that different.

while your on the subject of new forums i would like to see a humanity or human nature section where it deals with human sciences basically like a health class. But i think it would be interesting

1. How can we make forums more inclusive and welcoming?

One way to make forums more inclusive and welcoming is to establish clear guidelines for respectful communication and enforce them consistently. This can create a safe space for diverse voices to be heard without fear of discrimination or harassment.

2. How can we encourage more meaningful discussions on forums?

To encourage more meaningful discussions on forums, moderators can actively engage with the community and steer conversations towards thought-provoking and relevant topics. Additionally, creating specific discussion threads for different topics can help keep discussions organized and focused.

3. What can be done to prevent spam and irrelevant content on forums?

To prevent spam and irrelevant content on forums, moderators can set up filters and monitor new posts for any violations of forum guidelines. Additionally, requiring users to verify their identities can deter spammers from creating multiple accounts.

4. How can we improve the overall user experience on forums?

To improve the overall user experience on forums, regular updates and improvements to the forum platform can be made based on user feedback. Moderators can also actively listen to and address any concerns or suggestions from the community.

5. What are some best practices for engaging in productive debates on forums?

Some best practices for engaging in productive debates on forums include remaining respectful and open-minded, providing evidence to support arguments, and actively listening to opposing viewpoints. Moderators can also step in and redirect conversations if they become heated or deviate from the original topic.