Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Seriously How do you bio people memorize so much info?

1. Apr 19, 2005 #1
    Wow trying to learn glycolysis, gluconeogenesis, and the TCA cycle the night before the biochem exam sucks. How on earth can anyone memorize this much material? Seriously though, does anyone have any hints on how to memorize this stuff?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2005 #2

cronxeh

Gold Member

I'll let you in a secret.. you cant really memorize it all

4. Apr 19, 2005 #3

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, and still physicists think they rule the world.. they don't understand the elegance of cells. Also here there is order in the chaos and biologists are trying to make sense of it.

As for memorizing it all, you should understand the underlying concepts and the major players of the different pathways.

Can you motivate whether it is good or bad to eat a high-sugar candy bar some time before starting an athletic exercise?

5. Apr 19, 2005 #4
    Physicists dont rule the world? Thats news for me.. :eek:

6. Apr 19, 2005 #5

what kind of sugar would the candy bar be made up of ? sucrose? high fructose corn syrup?

7. Apr 19, 2005 #6

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The sugar glucose.

8. Apr 19, 2005 #7
    I suppose it wouldn't hurt since glucose under anaerobic conditions would form 2 molecules of pyruvate for 1 glucose through glycolysis no?

Oh btw, what does it imply when an enzyme ends in thase vs. thetase?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2005
  9. Apr 19, 2005 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

First, you'll never memorize it all the night before the exam. It's no different than organic chemistry where you need to learn all the intermediates getting from a starting compound to a final product. Actually, it IS organic chemistry. Some teachers will expect you to write the whole pathway down from memory, but understanding the steps along the way will help yo remember all of them. Take note of when energy is added (i.e., formation of bonds, addition of a phosphate group) and when energy is released (i.e., breaking bonds, formation of ATP from the freed phosphate). You can't learn biology in a vacuum from the other sciences.

10. Apr 19, 2005 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The ending -ase tells you it is an enzyme. The rest of the word tells you what it is doing. Synthases make or add something (think: synthesize). Dehydrogenases remove hydrogen, usually two at a time, which typically means a double bond will form between the two carbons the hydrogens were previously attached to. The naming is pretty helpful.

11. Apr 19, 2005 #10
    Im doing pretty good so far. Thanks a lot.

12. Apr 19, 2005 #11
    If you have trouble remembering some things...happens to me in the middle of physics tests...talk about irritating!...you could try remembering the core concept and what springs from that concept. Nuemonic (I think the spelling is off, but Moonbear might fix it the way she did ammonia. :blushing:) devices.

I want to rule the world too... :bugeye:

Lots of practice, my friend. Lots of practice. :wink:

13. Apr 19, 2005 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As long as you don't mind me correcting your spelling, I'm happy to do so :wink: (I try not to offend people by correcting their spelling unless it's critical to meaning). They are mnemonic devices (and here's one to help remember that word: it starts with "m" for memory, even though you don't pronounce the m).

14. Apr 19, 2005 #13
    I absolutely do not mind you correcting my spelling. :biggrin: You can't learn anything without making mistakes first! :smile:

Last edited: Apr 19, 2005
  15. Apr 19, 2005 #14
    wow so i bombed that test, the worst i have ever done in my life. i studied all the wrong things. god i absolutely loathe biochem, it seems the only way that you can pass is if you have the ability to memorize a whole phonebook.

16. Apr 19, 2005 #15

cronxeh

Gold Member

heh.. what were the questions?

17. Apr 19, 2005 #16
    Graven, we might be able to help you if you let us know what the questions were. You told us your test was on biochem, but specifically what was it would studied?

I'm sorry you did so poorly on your test sweetie. :frown:

18. Apr 19, 2005 #17
    The test was on glycolysis, gluconeogenesis, and the TCA cycle.

One question had to do with Galactose and how it can enter into the glycolysis pathway as glucose-6-phosphate. We had to start with galactose, describe how galactose turns into glucose-6-phophate (i.e. list all the steps and intermediates along with the enzymes that catalyze the pathways with products given off etc.) I remember glancing over this, but I did not memorize this process. The only thing I thought I should memorize was that Galactose can enter glycolysis as glucose-6-phosphate and fructose can enter as glyceraldehyde-3-phosphate.

The other question I bombed was on the regulation of glycolysis and gluconeogenesis and how they are reciprocally regulated. We had to pretty much list all the inhibitors and stimulators of phosphofructokinase and pyruvate kinase (for glycolysis) and for pyruvate carboxylase, phosphoenol pyruvate carboykinase, and fuctrose 1,6 bisphosphatase(for gluconeogensis).

This was on top of listing bascially every enzyme, molecular structure, intermediate names, pathways, products, and cofactors, for all of glycolysis, gluconeogenesis, and the TCA cycle. (Which I got). There were also questions on the specifics of some of the pathway rxns like on thioester intermediates for the mechanism of glyceraldehyde 3-phosphate dehydrogenase enzyme.

The other question that was a pain was on the flow of carbon atoms. We were given molecules at some point in glycolysis that had a labled Carbon 14 atom and we would find out where the carbon atom would end up at another point in the TCA cycle. ( I think I got this one though).

The concepts on the test weren't hard at all, the only reason the test was hard was becauset he amount of information that one would have to memorize for this test. I knew exactly what the questions were talking about and where I could find the answer to the questions in the text, but memorizing all that without getting it mixed up is next to impossible. I am also chem. major not bio, so I haven't seen any of this before like all the bio majors in the class. It doesn't really matter though, I got a 99% on the test that dealt with proteins and chemical kinetics so if I get a 50 on this test I can still get a 75 avg. If i do semi decent on the final then I can at least get a B. Biochem is definitely not my thing.

19. Apr 19, 2005 #18
    I understand. I have had similar problems myself. Did you receive the test back today as well or are you still waiting for it? The only thing you can really do now is to prevent it from happening again. Double checking what material is on the exam before you invest all that time the way you did should help. You might find that reading through the chapter on your own and taking notes and doing the problems, then going to class and taking good notes, and then really reviewing might help reinforce your memory because of how often you are studying the material.

I hope that helps a little. :smile:

Kitty

20. Apr 19, 2005 #19
    I just took it at 6pm today

21. Apr 19, 2005 #20
    Then the answer would be a largely resounding 'No'. :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?