Seriously, though. This is a moral dilema.

• Thread starter tribdog
  • Start date
In summary, an atheist would not go to heaven or hell based on whether or not they celebrate Christmas. Atheist heaven is the same place as atheist Hell, but without silicone.
tribdog
I am an athiest. If I celebrate Christmas will I go to Hell?

Physics news on Phys.org
Since when does Christmas have anything to do with Christianity?

tribdog said:
Yes. It's OK, though. Atheist Hell is the Playboy mansion.

Atheist heaven is the same place as atheist Hell, but without silicone.

Last edited by a moderator:
I decided I'll go ahead and exchange presents, but I won't do any of the religious stuff like decorating a tree. there has always been a tradition in my family though that I don't think should die out. We used to gather around the fireplace and the eldest son in the family would tell the story of the first christmas and how the three wise men followed the red glow of Rudolph's nose to find the baby Jesus Claus. And the wise men gave a gift of gold and Frank, Vince and Murray, their donkeys.

You're mixing things up, Trib. Santa killed Jesus, and the Easter Bunny was on the grassy knoll, so he's not in the clear.

If you're a pastafarian, Heaven is a stripclub with a beer volcano, wheras hell is a stripclub with strippers with VD and a stale beer volcano. I think You're good.

turbo-1 said:
Atheist heaven is the same place as atheist Hell, but without silicone.

And more brunettes! Blonds...meh.

tchitt said:
Since when does Christmas have anything to do with Christianity?

Since the Christians stole it from the Pagans and retroactively assigned it to baby Jesus' birthdate.

It's just that "Merry Winter solstice" is a mouthfull.

You're going to hell either way tribdog. So I wouldn't worry about it. :)

I'm sorry, the help desk is closed for the holidays. For answers to these questions, please go to Helen Waite.

tribdog said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji0_CA-C3Mk

I think Ivan has given this thread his Seal of Approval.

The answer doesn't matter. As an athiest, you don't believe in hell.

Came up with that one all by yourself? good job!
just kidding. I was trying to be ironical Please, please do me a favor Tsu. You are one of my favorite people on here, don't say something that opens you up to a cruel joke from me. It would break my heart to even consider saying something not nice to you. Please, I'm begging you.

Watch out, trib! MIH gave Evo a brand-new banning gun for Christmas!

Like anyone would dare ban me.

tribdog said:
Teflon trib! Post with abandon!

tribdog said:
Came up with that one all by yourself? good job!

THANX! :rofl:

Sorry, Toots. It was a single lucid senior moment. I'm sure it won't happen again... at least - not THIS year... :biggrin:

just kidding. I was trying to be ironical Please, please do me a favor Tsu. You are one of my favorite people on here, don't say something that opens you up to a cruel joke from me. It would break my heart to even consider saying something not nice to you. Please, I'm begging you.

Sometimes I just can't help myself, Trib. You (of ALL people) should know about THAT. :biggrin: And you CAN'T say anything not nice to me. You know that I can hurt you - BAD. (not that I WOULD... just that I CAN...).

tribdog said:

banning, is that like hell for atheists? if an atheist gets kicked out of science club, is it like he never even existed? and would that be moral? i guess that depends on whether the banishment serves the overall good. trouble is, the only way to find out is to do the experiment.

Math Is Hard said:
I think Ivan has given this thread his Seal of Approval.

I just thought the seal show was better than the tribdog show, but it was close. :biggrin:

What is a moral dilemma?

A moral dilemma is a situation in which an individual must choose between two or more conflicting moral values or ethical principles.

Why is it important to consider moral dilemmas?

Moral dilemmas challenge us to think critically about our values, beliefs, and actions. They also help us develop empathy and ethical reasoning skills, which are essential for navigating complex moral issues in our personal and professional lives.

How do scientists approach moral dilemmas?

Scientists often use ethical frameworks and principles, such as the Belmont Report and the principle of non-maleficence, to guide their decision-making in moral dilemmas. They also rely on their own moral compass and seek input from colleagues and experts in related fields.

Can science help us solve moral dilemmas?

Science can provide valuable information and insights that can inform our understanding of moral dilemmas and potential solutions. However, ultimately, moral dilemmas require individual and collective moral reasoning and decision-making.

What are some common examples of moral dilemmas in science?

Some common examples of moral dilemmas in science include conflicts between research ethics and the pursuit of scientific knowledge, ethical considerations in animal testing and experimentation, and the potential consequences of scientific discoveries and advancements.