Serotonin funny post

  • Thread starter DB
  • Start date
  • #1
DB
501
0
sort of a funny post, if it not to much trouble could some1 help me pronouce the word serotonin? thnx
 

Answers and Replies

  • #2
quetzalcoatl9
537
1
DB said:
sort of a funny post, if it not to much trouble could some1 help me pronouce the word serotonin? thnx

Sss-Air-Oh-Tone-In
 
  • #3
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
11,558
53
Accent is on the third syllable, but only slightly so. ser-uh-TOE-nin
 
  • #4
Evo
Mentor
23,555
3,250
There are online dictionaries that have audio pronunciations. Go here to listen to the word. http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=serotonin&x=10&y=13 [Broken] Just click on the little red speaker icon. This is also a great tool for non-english speakers to learn how to pronounce words.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • #5
selfAdjoint
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
6,852
10
Moonbear said:
Accent is on the third syllable, but only slightly so. ser-uh-TOE-nin

Is that how you say it? All this time I've been pronouncing it with the classical antipenult: sair-AH-tunin, where the u represents a schwa or neutral vowel (weak "uh" in English).
 
  • #6
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
11,558
53
selfAdjoint said:
Is that how you say it? All this time I've been pronouncing it with the classical antipenult: sair-AH-tunin, where the u represents a schwa or neutral vowel (weak "uh" in English).
Click on Evo's link. I don't agree with the way they broke the syllables in the written version (they put the r into the second syllable, and it really is part of the first syllable), but the way the person there pronounces it is pretty much the way I pronounce it (with a slight regional accent variation in vowel sound of the "ser" part), and is the correct pronunciation. But, yeah, this one doesn't follow the "default" pronunciation of biological terms where the accent would be the third syllable from the end (is that what antipenult means?) Don't you love how we have rules for pronunciation and then don't follow them?
 
  • #7
DB
501
0
thanks guys :)
 
  • #8
cronxeh
Gold Member
973
10
Sarah Tone In
 
  • #9
selfAdjoint
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
6,852
10
Moonbear said:
the third syllable from the end (is that what antipenult means?) Don't you love how we have rules for pronunciation and then don't follow them?

Yes. Ult means last, penult means "almost last", i.e. next-to-last, and antepenult means "before the almost last", or third from the end. I doubt that I'll be changing my pronunciation; I can be just as arbitrary as anybody! :)
 
  • #10
hitssquad
921
0
Ante-antepenultima

selfAdjoint said:
Yes. Ult means last, penult means "almost last", i.e. next-to-last, and antepenult means "before the almost last", or third from the end.
Also, as a noun ult is used only as ultima. Penult and antepenult are nouns in those forms, but can also be used as penultima and antepenultima. And ante-antepenult (which can be in the form ante-antepenultima) is a noun meaning fourth from the last in a series.
google.com/search?q=ante-antepenult
 
Last edited:

Suggested for: Serotonin funny post

  • Last Post
Replies
3
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
2
Views
1K
  • Last Post
Replies
4
Views
4K
Replies
15
Views
6K
  • Last Post
Replies
6
Views
3K
Replies
1
Views
118
Replies
2
Views
130
  • Last Post
Replies
1
Views
4K
  • Last Post
Replies
1
Views
12K
Replies
4
Views
3K
Top