1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Serpentine Belt Analysis

1. Mar 23, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Here is what the belt system looks like.
    kcmip1.jpg

The first part of the problem is to prove that the length of the belt between pulleys is
    ay1ppk.jpg assuming a negative radius for the backwrapped pulleys (idler and tensioner).

The second part is to derive the equations for motion, which are given so we can use them to check out answers.
    2rc37d2.jpg

2. Relevant equations

Listed above in pictures.

3. The attempt at a solution

So here are my attempts at both the length equation and the first motion equation (which will be the same concept for the first few)

r8im4i.jpg

For this length equation I've tried so many different things and I can't seem to get anything to work out. The picture I've posted is my last attempt that I've tried by just expanding out the formula and seeing if I can see where it is coming from. I've also tried subtracting/adding the radius when making the triangle, etc.

1q08kp.jpg

For the motion equation I know I have the correct equation. But I have that one spring written in compression to achieve it (the circles in the diagram). I'm not sure how I can validate that I know that spring is in compression, or if I just did the solution incorrectly. Any help would be appreciated..thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2014 #2
    Okay..so I figured out all of the motion equations. I'm still stuck on the length of the belt however. I've tried numerous approaches.. Im not sure if I'm defining the length wrong, or just not thinking about it properly. Or maybe over thinking it. But just drawing a triangle from center of circle A to the center of circle B would give you length of the belt wouldn't it?

4. Mar 24, 2014 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Maybe you should make a sketch of the belt and show the sheaves which the belt drives. You know what xA, xB, rA, rB, etc. mean, but we do not.

5. Mar 24, 2014 #4
    I actually figured out all of this 2 days after I posted it.

THIS POST CAN BE CLOSED.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted