Evil & Serpents: Exploring Connections Across Societies

• Thread starter einsteinian77
  • Start date
In summary, there is a connection between serpent-like creatures and evil because they are symbols of power, knowledge and magic, and they are also widely available and popular.
einsteinian77
Why is there such a huge connection between evil and serpent-like creatures among a large number of different societies? Is it simply because they associate the instinctual fear of snakes with evil?

Physics news on Phys.org
There are also many associations with serpents and good.

Serpents are seen as symbols of power, knowledge and magic much more than they are seen as agents of evil.

I think most of that has to do with the venom.

Yes, in my book venom=death=bad.

Originally posted by Jonathan
Yes, in my book venom=death=bad.
Or is it venom=medicine=good?

well it depends on who dies from the venom or who gets saved by the medicine if it's good or bad, but yeah...snake=danger=excitement=stress=bad

or if your chinese, snakes = tasty in soup.

Serpents are small (relatively), but pack a punch via their venom. Seems like they represent something that easily hides, and strikes without warning. i.e like evil deeds, which of course have to happen like that, because if people saw it coming miles away, they would act to stop it occurring.

I am not saying that this actually happened, but according to the bible, which i am loosing faith in, the devil deceived eve in the form of a snake. And he is reffered to, i believe as that old serpent/dragon multiple times, but it has been a while since i read the bible.

Don't loose faith!

Then again, that could be just a backlash against the Egyptians, who regarded snakes as sacred.

There is a theory that the original bible-writers where exiled priests from when the rule of Pharaoh Akhenaten, the "heretic" who introduced monotheism, ended and the old gods were restored.

I suspect the fact that snakes are one of the top animal killers of humans has something to do with it too.

Why don't we have the great mosquito-demon, then? :wink:

Because it was forever before anyone realized that they were the causes of many different diseases.

Originally posted by FZ+
Why don't we have the great mosquito-demon, then? :wink:

*L* Well, you can safely swat a mosquito, but a snake fights back.

Well, at least there were the demons that cause the diseases like Malaria. Also, mosquitos are associated with swamps and swamps were sometimes thought to harbor evil things.

Also, snakes are often hidden and strike suddenly...seemingly out of nowhere. Death by venom is slow and painful.

Snakes are also widespread...accessible to many cultures' myths. The stories traveled well as people migrated.

What is the main purpose of "Evil & Serpents: Exploring Connections Across Societies"?

The main purpose of "Evil & Serpents: Exploring Connections Across Societies" is to examine the role of serpents and evil in various societies and cultures throughout history. It aims to identify common themes and connections between the two and explore their significance in human belief systems and cultural practices.

Why is the study of serpents and evil important in understanding human societies?

The study of serpents and evil is important in understanding human societies because these concepts have been deeply ingrained in human culture and belief systems for thousands of years. By examining their connections and significance, we can gain insight into the values, fears, and beliefs of different societies and how they have evolved over time.

What are some common themes or connections between serpents and evil in different societies?

Some common themes and connections between serpents and evil in different societies include the association of serpents with deception, temptation, and danger, as well as their role as symbols of evil or chaos. In many cultures, serpents are also seen as powerful and wise creatures, often linked to creation or destruction.

How has the perception of serpents and evil changed over time?

The perception of serpents and evil has changed over time and varies greatly between different societies and cultures. In some cultures, serpents were seen as sacred and revered, while in others they were associated with evil and danger. The introduction of Judeo-Christian beliefs also had a significant impact on the perception of serpents as symbols of temptation and evil.

What can we learn from the study of serpents and evil in different societies?

The study of serpents and evil in different societies can teach us about the universal human concepts of good and evil and how they have been interpreted and represented in different cultures. It also sheds light on the role of myth and symbolism in shaping human beliefs and understanding of the world, as well as the impact of cultural exchange and religious beliefs on the perception of these concepts.